What Is this Field in the Activity Power Tab: "Power @NNN bpm XXXw"?

Hello,
In the Power Tab, between the Decoupling and HR Lag, there is this field:
“Power @144 bpm 221”
From the Activity HR, it looks like 144 bpm would be the limit between Z2 and Z3.

A couple questions if somebody knows:

• Is this VT1 (Ventilatory Threshold 1) in a 3-zone model?
  • If so, is VT2 the same as FTP?
  • How do you use this information?
  • Are 144 bpm and 221w, for me, the upper limits for an “endurance ride”?
  • Is there a graph that track that over time?

Thanks,
Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Not sure I have all the answers, but I think:

• More likely to align with LT1 in the 3 zone model
  • Subject to the above being correct, LT2 is close to FTP/CP
  • I track the information over time to see if I am increasing my aerobic base (narrowing gap between LT1 and LT2)
  • If LT1, in the 3 zone model then this would be a beneficial place to spend time during an “endurance ride”
  • I use the HR vs Power graph in the compare functionality to review increase in aerobic base over time

Good thread here that talks about LT1 etc and its alignment to 7 zone model etc including some good links to an excel to show your estimated LT1 etc: Mapping 7 Zone to 3 Zone Model Wrt Polarized Training

My 2 cents :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tx @Olly_Thomas explained it pretty well.

That 144 bpm is the top of your Z2. I like to keep an eye on that to see how fit I am (or not!). But the power vs HR chart Olly mentioned is better.

2 Likes

Super. Thank you, @Olly_Thomas & @david !

One more question, for David, do you automatically calculate (and update over time) the zones and that “144” upper zone 2 based on the uploaded rides? (I just came back to i.icu recently after a hiatus and I don’t remember if I had manually set up those zones a long time ago… hanging head in shame)

1 Like

Intervals.icu doesn’t automatically update your HR or power zones. It will tell you when it thinks your threshold HR has gone up and you need to adjust HR zones. Likewise when you change your FTP your zones shift with it and Intervals.icu will tell you when it thinks your FTP has gone up.

1 Like

Thank you.