VO2max and the dreaded 3rd booster vaccination

Yes, it does seem to hit people in different ways and at different times. First time I’ve ever reacted to vaccinations or medicines for that matter.

Think again, Mathew – I think we’re in this for a long time. Think 'flu not measles.

Same here! 3 weeks out from my Moderna booster and I still have bouts of fatigue and my RHR is around 48 as opposed to the usual 42. It seems like this kind of thing is quite prevalent based on the responses here. I wonder why I can’t find this being mentioned anywhere else? I don’t think it is myocardiatis as I don’t have any of the other typical symptoms.

Good thing I am in my base season and largely doing Z2 work right now! I think it might be abating somewhat? I’ll lay off the hard workouts until my RHR returns to normal.

Yes, my RHR has risen as well. Must admit it wasn’t until you mentioned it that I gave this some thought.

Michael, I don’t want to reopen Pandora,s box and add fuel to the discussion. I am an educated biochemist and worked half my life in the field of biomedical research. I am very familiar with all facets of mRNA technology and reading scientific papers out of habit. I don’t follow wannabe scientists or retired medical doctors who want to shine in public.
My last sentence refers to the start of the clinical trials of a vaccine directed against the omicron variant of SARS-Cov-2. That vaccine is expected to be ready end of March. After the omicron wave has been swept through Europe. I am not willing to take such a shot because it doesn’t make any scientific sense to immunize a population against a virus they have been already fully exposed to. Because right now the situation has changed and e.g. Denmark just decided to phase out mask duty and other government required limitations. The rest will follow.

I am not up to date to the situation in Australia or other countries than Europe. But I hope you understand my last sentence at least in this context.

4 Likes

Sorry, @Mathew_Leroy, I though that you meant last anti-Covid vaccination ever. My comment was more intending to reflect that I suspect that Covid is going to be around for a long while yet.
In general, evolutionary theory would suggest that the Coronavirus is going to evolve to produce rather less serious disease such that large proportions of the population can be affected without triggering major anti-spread interventions. That way, the total quantity of the virus can be maximised. Like influenza. But that’s simply an expectation on my part – though it is consistent with the history of variants so far.

And here is a reference to a paper that studied the factors that seem to predispose some people to long Covid: The four factors that could lead to long COVID

1 Like

Just an update.
After 1 week off then the last 3 weeks on Z2 aerobic rides I did an FTP test today. I was dreading it. I was really nervous at the start and went into it expecting to see that my FTP had gone down.
Low and behold, I have not only managed to stay level but increase it by 1 watt. Not much increase but better than expected. :grinning:

At 75 I have had 4 Pfizer vaccinations now, no bad side effects at all just sore arms. No effect on training at all.
On the other hand, I am just recovering from a common cold which had me spending two days in bed. I made two Covid-19 self-tests which indicated negative.

Luckily I have avoided any flu or colds…so far. Only 3 jabs, not going to take a 4th. PS: we are same age :grinning:

Thought I’d add a comment to see if anyone has updated information on how they’re travelling with Covid. I had it about 2-3 months ago. (The whole family did). We weren’t badly affected and no-one is vaccinated. The flu is pretty rife around here too at the moment and I’ve avoided that up to this point. My method of protection has been to take the following daily: vitamin D (10k iu), Zinc 35mg, Vitamin C, Magnesium (incl. B6), K2, 1 Brazil nut and 2 teaspoons of MSM. I no longer cramp at night and am keen to keep this regime up as it appears to be a nice anti-inflammatory and all-round mixture.

1 family member turned positive for Covid a 2nd time around 2 weeks ago and no-one else has had it since. She had a couple of days in bed but is now back to full health. Everyone is different of course and there is always risk in any decision. I do however have issues when an organisation will profit from health care. Enough said I guess

1 Like

Update beginning of Oct 22: 5th vaccination, this time Moderna bivalent vaccine. Just a sore arm for a while. Wearing FPP2 mask when shopping in supermarket or using public transport. Touch wood I have avoided catching the real thing so far. Unfortunately my wife is not so cautious which worries me a bit.

We’re being offered the 4th, but must admit, I’m sceptical now. Don’t want anymore of that stuff in me. Luckily, the virus isn’t so prevalent here in Norway so really just a matter of being a little careful and perhaps building up a natural immunity after 2 years of lockdown?