Treadmill Running, Garmin Power and Distance

I am thinking about incorporating a bit more treadmill running into my running program.

I have the Garmin HRM Pro and Fenix 6 which gives me power, and a approximate running speed running on a treadmill.

I have a access to a professional grade treadmill, which I set to 12 km/t - pace 5:00. I put the treadmill to 1 pct grade.

I had a run for 31 minutes. The treadmill said 6,11 km completed while the watch said 7,12 km. I used the calibration function on the Garmin Watch to correct the effort.

My HR was top Z2 - bottom Z3 which usually would equate more or less to 5:00 min/km - just as the treadmill was set on.

However, intervals.icu clocks me for having a pace around 4:15 / km, which I was nowhere near in effort based on the Garmin-watch.

That also clocks me as having the fastest 5k time, I have run, but I was nowhere near that kind of effort.

Also the power sets me in the threshold zone, based on this diagram:

I would like to have some good settings when doing the treadmill work. How do you guys approach this?

if the watch says 7.12km and treadmill says 6:11km and you corrected the distance after the workout, changes in Garmin Connect doesn’t affect the Raw FIT file and what gets transferred to intervals.icu is the Raw Fit File.

6.11km in 30min30s = 5.00 pace
7.12km in 30min30s = 4:17 pace

if you changed the distance within intervals.icu, did you click the “action->analyse” again?

I changed the distance when saving the workout using Garmins calibrate function. So the distance transferred from Garmin is 6.11 km. However, that does not seem to affect, that I still ran with the 4:17 pace in the intervals for the workout.

Perhaps I’m off the mark here so bear with me.
It’s unclear how Garmin’s Calibrate funcion that you mention works. It may be just changing the final “session” data from 7.11km to 6.11km but it doesn’t change any of the Per-second data that is written into the FIT file.

Intervals.icu uses the per-second data to calculate everything itself and doens’t use any of the pre-written LAP / Session data.

When I look at your orignal post (you may have linked your activity, but alas, no one can access it except for your followers), the pace is a constant ~4min/km which leads me to believe that this is exactly what is happening.

@app4g Yeah. It seems that the activity is not really altered - only the distance… Garmin Connect.

1 Like

I retried the same treadmill today, and the values lined up better.

That means that I should have done a calibration run on my first try, because that calibration run seems to have effect on the next run.

2 Likes