Syncing from Dropbox, not all file synced (false duplicate)

Hi, I recently tried to change the source of activities from Strava to Dropbox. I uploaded my training data from Training Peaks to Dropbox.

I found out some of the activities were not uploaded to Intervals. When checking the logs, I found out that some of the activities were marked as duplicate. From 300 Activities, only around 80 synced to Intervals. Could you help me to sort this out?

Intervals.icu uses a hash of the file contents supplied by the Dropbox API to avoid re-processing duplicate files. So supposedly all those dups are actually dups. Do you mind sharing that folder with me (david@intervals.icu) so I can have a look at the files? Tx.

Sure, just shared the folder to you. Just fyi, i recently disconnected the garmin connect activities, not sure if it could affected the duplicate case though.
Thanks.

It looks like the dups are duplicates of deleted activities previously downloaded from Garmin Connect. Well the first one I checked (20 Dec 2020) was. Not undeleting these automatically is probably the correct behaviour. You can undelete them yourself. Garmin don’t have any nasty “I have to delete your data if they tell me to” conditions and the file is exactly the same so thats probably the easiest.

You can bulk undelete using the activity list view. Change the date range and click “All activities” and add “Deleted” to the filter. Tick off the ones you want to undelete and then “Edit” and choose undelete.

Thank you for your reply. The problem is, I can’t see any deleted activities, although I have selected the “deleted” filter and selected the date range. Are there any view settings that I have to change so I could see the deleted activities?

attache

Aha thats a bug. You have to return to the calendar view and tick the “Show deleted activities” box under options, then return to list view:

It works!
Currently trying to undelete the activities, but seems like nothing happens. I saw another thread that I it runs in the background so I’ll wait and see what happens.

By the way, an option to permanently delete the deleted activities would be nice as well.

I have just realised that Garmin’s new restrictions on backfilling old data is likely to make the undelete fail. Intervals.icu implements the undelete by fetching the activities from Garmin. I think I will have to make the Dropbox sync undelete after all. The manual file upload undeletes but thats a pain for many files. I will deploy that Monday AM (GMT+2).

I have to keep a tombstone record to stop the activities coming back at some point. The data etc. is all gone.

Thanks for the solution!
So for Garmin Connect users who mistakenly deleted an activities, the solution to regain the activity is to manually uploading the fit file?

Unfortunately yes. I probably need to keep the original file for deleted Garmin Connect activities to support undelete but then I will need to add a “really delete” option.

Alright! Thanks much for your help, amazing support!

1 Like

Tx. I just deployed the update but it looks like your deleted Garmin Connect activities already came back. So you should have your history now.

1 Like