Switch from Garmin Running Power to Stryd?

Hi, I’ve been using running power from my Garmin HRM Pro but just got a Stryd footpod. My understanding is that Garmin’s numbers are significantly higher numbers than Stryd’s - roughly 1/3 higher. I’m wondering how to handle this transition. It looks using the batch edit I could just ignore power for the Garmin runs or I could try to scale them using www.fitfiletools.com (I have < 30 runs w/power) and then reload them. Has anyone been through this or have any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

You shouldn’t need fitfiletools because intervals can do this with the “fix data” option on the activity page:

Edit: or even in batch mode from the Activities page

Oh, cool! Use it all the time to fix drop-outs but missed that one could scale. I don’t see how it can be done from the activities list view, but wouldn’t take long to run through from there and scale each one. Thanks for that!

I’m not sure it makes sense to scale the Garmin power. Garmin and Stryd are basically computing different quantities. Since you don’t have a lot of history, I would ignore old power data and start from scratch

You should start a new season. That will give you a fresh power curve with the Stryd, new best power achievements and so on. You should also add a “Set eFTP” record to the calendar so eFTP resets with rh new device. I recently added support for eFTP for running (and rowing and other sports but not sure how well it will work with those).

I’m currently switching running power ‘meters’ i have only +/- 30 workouts. So i ignored all power data. But the fitness graph is still showing my old FTP/eFTP. I don’t yet have a new FTP.

Can i remove the old FTP/eFTP values at all?

Hi. I’m thinking to do the same (but in the other way arround) from Stryd to Garmin HRM Pro Plus.
My main question would be… is the new HRM from Garmin reliable enough to discard my Stryd and switch to HRM?

Many thanks,

I too have the same question. Does the Garmin HRM Pro plus give the same accuracy in terms of power and speed as the Stryd?

I’d rather put on a chest strap than try to attach a footpod everytime I run.

From what i noticed is that the power numbers are using your GPS pace so when you have bad GPS your power numbers are inaccurate as well. This can be solved with the new HRM PRO (due to footpod option within that strap)

I doubt that power is calculated in from GPS?

Well, pace is measured from GPS and pace is used for power. So in the end power uses GPS

That might be the case on some running power devices but surely not for all. The more advanced and modern ones also work indoors. No GPS pace there…
I’m not 100% sure but think it is accelerometer and/or gyroscope based.

Accelerometers for sure

1 Like

What does rh mean here?

Will the eFTP automatically be updated to the FTP calculated by the power duration curve page?

Not quite. The continuously updated eFTP displayed on activities and so on goes up when you do a long enough max effort that gives you a higher number than the current value. It gradually declines if you reduce training load. So if you change your source of running power to something lower (e.g. from Garmin to Stryd) then you should set a lower eFTP so it is recalculated.

1 Like

Got a new FR255 today. Unbeknownst to me it now does Garmin Running Power. I run with a Stryd footpod and prefer that as my power measure, just cause I don’t trust the Garmin Power measure as much. Unfortunately it looks like Garmin Power is coming through to intervals. Is there any way to change this so Stryd power is the default? A bit of digging into the FIT file shows that Garmin power is stored as “power” (small p) whereas Stryd Power is stored as “Power” (big P). Here’s a comparison chart from today’s run, Stryd in purple, Garmin in Red.

Also a quick look at some other accounts I’m connected to, both Stryd (unsurprisingly) and Humango default to Power (big P) so use the Stryd power.

Actions - Settings - choose default power field under ´Ignore power´ section.

1 Like

Brilliant thanks. I knew David would’ve already covered this :grin::+1:

1 Like

Also fiddled with the settings on my watch. Think I’ve got it to use stryd as power source, will find out on Weds!

I have running power in my activities for running, but no eFTP is calculated. Is that because I have not setup any zones for the power?