Strava Pause and Moving Time for Indoor Rides

So after some googling it seems that over on Strava it is known that for indoor rides even if you press Pause on your head unit, the paused time gets counted as Moving Time.

Is this something one can fix on intervals.icu’s end? The TSS is aligned (I matched almost exactly the plan time and watts and get same TSS as the plan workout said it would be) which doing a quick search on the forum here was something someone brought up and that David fixed. So that is really nice.

However, if it is something that can be fixed (easily), it would be nice to see the true moving time and not the wrong Strava one. And I think it’s worth a shot to ask, because if I look on my Element app on the phone, it does actually have moving and elapsed time correctly, so the correct data is out there.

I had a look at the data from Strava and there isn’t much to go on here. Can you point me at ride with some stoppage time. I peeked at one at random and only the 1st 2 seconds had zero velocity. Strava called it all moving.

Some of your rides have power spikes clipped (little orange bolt). If there weren’t spikes then you need to adjust the spike threshold.

Hi David,

the latest one on Sunday 28.11.21, Moving time should be 04:00:02 but it says 04:10:53 (and 1s coasting).

And yes, that is exactly my point, apparently for indoor rides Strava counts all as moving time (something to do with how they calculate moving time requiring GPS which isn’t available indoors).

Edit: Maybe it just isn’t possible because the info the Element app below has, is lost once synced to Strava, so nothing that can be done.

Screenshot from the Element app on the phone:

You could always set up your Wahoo–i.icu sync via Dropbox, which for me has further Strava-lost data, e.g., L/R balance form powermeters, etc.

Could you please explain how this works? I need to set up so my Wahoo syncs to Dropbox. Can I do that directly via the Bolt or does this only work via the Elemnt companion app? In the latter if I go to upload workout I do see Dropbox as an option.

And then I need to sync intervals.icu to Dropbox? How do I do this? And do I need to unsync it from Strava or how will it know which workout to choose from, Strava or Dropbox?

Thanks!

Can’t speak for the Wahoo>Dropbox part but for the Dropbox>Intervals part, go into the intervals settings page, connect Dropbox and define a folder on the Dropbox to automatically sync.
I think the dropbox file will automatically replace the Strava file, so no need to unsync Strava. Altough, if you don’t need Strava, it’s better too unlink because it uses up the limited Strava calls.

PS: I strongly discourage pausing the recording unit (for shorter pauses, not for pauses > 20min) because it messes with some of the metrics. W’ for example will be wrong when you cut out data from pauses…

2 Likes

Yes, in the ELEMNT app add “sharing to Dropbox”, then sync from i.icu as @MedTechCD wrote. Indeed, Dropbox data supersedes Strava data, but the Strava link still persists for convenience in the i.icu workout;-)

1 Like

Ok thank you both, I will try it out today :slight_smile:

Edit: It works! Both pulling it from Dropbox and now showing the correct moving time.

1 Like