Strava is becoming more "pay to play": Will this affect the product?

I now use TrainerDay for that. Not sure how they will proceed, but I’m a founding member.

They had a good deal of TR workouts, which wasn’t really a good thing, but they’ve sorted it out with them.

1 Like

Yes I am. Garmin now offer API access to anyone btw, I started that process a while ago but “paused” it when I found out Strava wouldn’t like it.

Will have to see what happens, especially regarding my latest rate limit ticket.

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool - I thought only the SDK (CIQ) was freely accessible for all…

Substitute Xert for Training Peaks and I am in almost the same position as you. It is forcing me to evaluate what I get out of each platform and whether the individual components which I use from each one are worth it. One thing has just occurred to me is that friends who are subscribers to Strava will see my segment times but I will no longer be able to see theirs. I need to think about whether I’m bothered about that. I may just keep all my activities private from now on

1 Like

To be honest, as I get older and can’t very well compete for KOM’s I’m no so worried about segment times or leaderboards (or at least that’s what I tell myself!) but Strava is really the only service for such comparisons. Now I’ve signed up to the 60 day free trial and have been able to look at some of the Premium only features they are actually quite good and I don’t begrudge paying Strava even if it does sting a little after having gotten it all for free for the past 10 years.

As I said in the blog post, having re-evaluated what I personally get out of each platform I think I’ll get more out of Strava for £47.99 a year than I will from the c.£100 for Training Peaks, especially if I use it in conjunction with intervals.icu. Now I just need to find a way to save on my TrainerRoad subscription (I wish they did a referral bonus as I’ve referred so many people to it!!)

Al.

1 Like

@david The potential for uploading fit files becomes more apparent for me everyday. Especially with fit files from multiple power sources too. Having this in one place on Power graph would be very useful. I’ve been a user of TrainingPeaks, Xert, Strava, trainerroad and Zwift etc for a long time. Right now Intervals.icu is the best value add tool I can find (I’m happy to pay for it), Strava is just a logging tool for rides & segments, otherwise is use is limited to me. As a Wahoo head unit user the route builder is hopeless, and Komoot has been that savour last few years. Looking forward to see what your future brings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you want to plan routes for your WAHOO w/o Komoot, have a look at https://maps.openrouteservice.org/
You can simply export these routes as GPX files. They import well in my ELEMNT ROAM.
Plus you can simply share the link to friends you’re riding with, and bookmark your routes in your browser since it’s pretty much just a bunch of waypoint coordinates in the URL.

2 Likes

The best aspect of Strava for me, is the social part.
Since they have removed the segments rankings, I’m going back to RideWithGPS to see how I compare to other riders; the good thing is that there are much fewer users and segments, so I still manage to appear in the 50% top :-p

1 Like