Site slow, often not showing my other athletes

Hi, I’m noticing quite a big change in the delay/lag I notice when using the site lately.
It often manifests itself in not showing the other athletes I follow in the /athletes section of the site, but also sometimes taking way longer than usual to show my own activities on the landing page.

Am I the only one with the issue?

Today, a Zwift ride I completed a few minutes ago is not showing, despite displaying correctly on Strava. It has only been about 15 minutes, but it’s always been instantaneous before (I always check Intervals immediately after my ride).

UPDATE: it’s there now. It took about 35 minutes. That’s not slow, but definitely longer than normal.

1 Like

I have seen that as well and am looking into it.

1 Like

Thanks, David.
As always: if you wanna share once found the culprit, I’m very intrigued :slight_smile:

I made one change this morning and performance has been good when I have tested. But I might have just got lucky. The next four hours (18h00 to 22h00 GMT+2) are the busiest time for the site.

I increased the number of threads in the connection pool that handles incoming messages from websocket connections from 32 to 256.

There is definitely still an intermittent performance issue. I am looking into it.

Just now (21:00 CEST) it was perfect

Tx. I was having some issues a little while ago. I have made some changes to the app to reduce its impact on the server and will be deploying those Thurs AM (GMT+2).

2 Likes

I also noticed the site a bit slow, especially in the comparison charts. Not that this is a problem.
I wonder (I could not find any information), what kind of project is Intervals. Is it an open source with a community? Is it closed source, but free? In any case, I have only recently known him and I am pleasantly surprised, and I pay the quarterly fee with pleasure. If the slowdown persists, wouldn’t it be good to put a mandatory minimum payment instead of an optional one? I ask this to understand in which direction the program is going and who is managing it. I hope not to ask too much information :sweat_smile:

@Marco_Ciampi you can find more details here on what’s “behind the scenes”

1 Like

Tx for the support. I did make some changes that seem to have sorted out the (current) problems. I know what I need to do for future scaling but that kind of work takes time away from feature development so it’s good that I don’t have to do it right now.

Intervals.icu is closed source (except for the i18n) and free. I had to make full Strava history a premium feature recently to avoid rate limit problems. I am still trying to plot the future path for Intervals.icu. I would like to keep it free but may add more “premium” features to reduce devops work and hosting costs etc. and encourage more people to sign up. It has already gone from “side project to learn new things” to “small business that makes some money” so it’s future is secure. My day job is important and I have commitments so I can’t work on this full-time right now unfortunately. But that might change.

3 Likes

About the history downloaded from Strava. For your experience, is it better to connect Strava or Garmin Connect to sync workouts? Is there any difference or not?

Pro Garmin:

1. if you have LR Pedal Balance. Strava doesn’t send LR
  2. if you have privacy zones in Strava, it will mangle up your Laps Data in intervals
  3. If you’re not an Intervals.icu supporter, you have log into Intervals Min 1x per 28days (or something like that) for Intervals to poll your strava data. No such issue w/ Garmin

Pro Strava:
If you’re recording from a NON-Garmin device, then strava data will feed into intervals.
eg:
Zwift → Strava → Intervals :+1:
Zwift → Garmin - Data will not get sent to Intervals. (anything not recorded from a Garmin device will no longer since april 2021 or something like that, get exported anywhere else using Garmin’s API)

1 Like