Show crank length setting

Hello,

I’m using a pedal-based powermeter (Favero Assioma) and since I have different crank lengths on different bikes it sometimes happens that I forget to change the crank length setting on my Garmin or at least can’t remember if I did so.

Hence sometimes I find myself looking through the .fit files to see what crank length I had set, which is quite a tedious process.

Request: I’m wondering if it would be possible to show the crank length setting in the activity fields (as an optional field).

[Side note - for pedal-based powermeters setting the right crank length is crucial to having correct power measurements.]

Many thanks for the great work!
Anna

Thanks! I am sure I can sort that out but I am struggling to find the field in one of your recent files. How are you looking at it?

I think I found it thanks to this post: Crank lenght from activity - Accessories & Sensors - Cycling - Garmin Forums

I have added crank length. You can add it as a column on the activity list view. Unfortunately you need to re-process old files to see it and this will undo any interval edits.

I tested on your June 6th ride … hopefully 160mm is correct.

1 Like

I noticed that you still have the “all blue” calendar setup. You can do Options → Colours to colour code by load, RPE, intensity etc:

1 Like

Hi David,

Awesome, thanks for the super fast implementation! It works perfectly. Really appreciate it, since it saves me a lot of time going through multiple fit files. (And yes, for reading the crank length setting in the .fit file I did it like in the link you mentioned.)

Also thanks for the hint regarding the color coding of the calendar.

1 Like

Is there a way to manually edit the crank length in the activity file without editing the .fit file?

I have an athlete with 165 mm stages cranks and it is showing as 172.5 mm.

Thoughts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Not at the moment. But if the crank length in the file is wrong then so is the power right?

4 Likes

I have a 4iiii with 175mm cranks and it’s also showing 172.5mm. It’s set at the factory with no way to change it. I guess it’s only like a 1.5% difference so hard to tell if 4iiii got it wrong or the issue is somewhere else.

It might be something you need to set on your head unit? I am not familiar with 4iiii.

It’s not editable, they’re crank based meters so it’s set at the factory at the moment they embed the strain gauge in the crank. I guess it’s both possible they set it to the wrong length, or their firmware writes the wrong value to the datastream (it also has some bugs in the way it writes L/R data…even though it’s a single sided crank!).

Does the head unit have to do the cadence x length x torque math? That’s already done for it in the power datastream, right?

Yes I would expect all the calculations are done already.

Hello Guys,

Could someone confirm to me please, if the value for “Crank Length” I see in the power activity page or activity list, where the device info is shown is a default value when there is no crank length in the .fit file?

172.5 in the example above…

Thank you!

1 Like

Given that everyone above was like “I see 172.5 even though that’s wrong” I’d say that seems like a plausible hypothesis!

1 Like

No there is no default for that. Nothing is displayed if no crank length is found in the fit file.

Hi @david ,

I have just downloaded the original fit file of my today’s workout and could not find any crank length in fitfileviewer.com. But as you can see in my print screen above, there is a crank length of 172.5mm for a Tacx Neo Trainer which does not have any crank length setting because it is a smart trainer and does not measure power at crankset.

I am lost here! jaja what do you think?

Tito

1 Like

Just ignore it…
intervals default to 172.5mm likely if there’s either no data or it just uses whatever is already written (as default) in the FIT file

1 Like

Got it! It is just my Tacx Neo is reading higher than my wahoo pedals and I was a little bit concerned that it would have some kind of crank length setting anywhere… Don’t know why is that. Thank you!

it’s actually the head unit that defaults to 172.5 - intervals leaves the field empty

3 Likes