Should I prioritize loosing weight or increasing power?

This is a nice video about “CICO”: https://youtu.be/QAr506gUYYQ?si=3EPYRhexVrZCxM0x Besides valuable information, he is really fun to watch :grin:

This. Somehow many of us have fallen into a cycle of dieting and losing weight only to fall into old habits and suffer the consequences. So, we diet and lose weight only to gain that back and start a new cycle.

Many of us are often in that cycle because eating balanced healthy foods and forgoing highly processed foods takes effort. That effort of course is what creates the habits which will lead to a full long healthy life free of the ill effects of excess fat, a poison without doubt.

So, as to the question of when should I diet? Wrong question and use of the word. What is a healthy diet that I am able and willing to maintain for the rest of my life? That’s Better and can start after the next trip to the grocery store.

I’m no expert. I am however 69. I can say definitively the longer one takes to create these habits, the more difficult that will be to do and the more chronic ongoing heath issues will have resulted in the meantime.

You’re young. You’re bullet proof. I get it. Been there. Done that. It doesn’t last.

I’m not trying to be flippant. There are so many threads and videos surrounding your question. So many short term diet ideas vs. load. But, if you look hard enough, there are ones which deal with reality. The reality is maintain a healthy diet and the rest will follow. Not perhaps in time for that race, but in the big scheme of things, that race is least important.

3 Likes

I can relate to this, although different numbers, I find my ftp down 30w on a few years ago (was a very good year, but still you hope you retain the fitness) and my weight fluctuates a bit.

I’m no expert so can’t impart much wisdom, but for me it’s two things:

mental commitment
a relaxed methodology

• Mental commitment is a funny one, and in my humble opinion us humans don’t understand ourselves that well. I often ‘commit’ to something but I don’t think it’s the same as when I ‘really commit’ and it’s actually hard to define how that mechanism works - I’m sure some here especially coaches know the mechanisms. Currently I’m very committed to getting back in shape and so it’s not a chore, I just want to do it, and have a clear goal and reason.

• My methodology to control weight (as part of fitness) is keeping it simple, adjusting portion sizes. I’ve read loads about calorie counting etc and I’m quite scientific but this would drive me nuts - I’m just not interested in that level of analytics on my food (I’d say I’m a healthy eater and vegetarian). But what’s hard is when you’re not consistently active - in my case I tend to eat the same throughout the weeks/months, but if I’m not cycling I dont need as much. Also I have a younger son with lots of snacks around, and often work from home, so there can be temptations - but that is removed what the metal commitment.

What I’ve found the easiest is having a goal within a few KG of current. Then I’m weighing myself a few times a week and adjusting portions accordingly. Weight fluctuates as you know, so I don’t jump on anything quickly (especially if I know I had as big meal, snacks etc) and just follow the trends. If the weight is climbing, I just have smaller portions - literally I just serve myself a bit less or leave some on the plate. If I want to do bigger jumps I find I can easily skip one or two breakfasts a week. And I know if I have an intense cycling week I probably don’t have to adjust much if anything, and if the weathers awful and I’m less active, I might reduce things more. Then just watch the weight curves. It’s working a treat for me at the moment, and once I hit the next goal I’ll set a new goal another couple KG down.

You will feel hungry at some points - you just have to recognise it and work through it - you know why you’re doing it.

Squeezing in bodyweight exercises and Yoga just makes me feel better too regardless of the weight and bike numbers, and you basically just need a mat (or blanket) at home for your knees and can do whenever convenient.

Hoping to end up back at what I’d call my optimal weight of a good few years back when I cycled and did high energy martial arts for a period where I was more ripped!

As you know, at 50’s its not as easy but I think most of that is lifestyle and mindset.

Good luck with your training.

2 Likes

This is such a nice post and great advice. Thank you for being so thoughtful Velo-city. :heart: