@erice Any update on the app progress?
Was on vacation last week, so just getting back to things.
I did release 0.6.0 before I left which fixed a few bugs, added support for laps and HRM over BLE FTMS for JetBlack and other trainers which support it, and CORE body temperature device support along with some miscellaneous fixes.
I have a list of features to work through, and catching up with messages here ![]()
Just joined the beta to see how it goes.
Hi @erice,
This sounds great. The fact that you’re using Flutter gives me hope for a native Linux build one day. If I could run this off of a cheap SBC, like a RaspberryPi or an OrangePi, that would be fantastic. If or when that makes it into your builds, please flag me here and I’d be happy to try it out.
I did a ride today, just checked and my version of app is 0.5.0 (165) - however it doesn’t show up as needing an update?
Thanks Eric,
I have an Echelon indoor bike with Bluetooth. UNfortunately. when I scan for trainers, the app isn’t finding the bike.
I currently use qdomyos (QZ) which is very good.
Many thanks
Barry
Made some updates today that should get pushed out to TestFlight users shortly. You may need to open TestFlight and hit the update button to get the latest version.
@epicmtn and other Linux folks: there is now a Flatpak release that should run on any major Linux distro. Installation instructions added to https://ridewatts.app/. I have tested this on x86_64 Fedora. There is a build for ARM but I have not tested it on real hardware.
Thanks for all the feedback, it’s very helpful for improving the app ![]()
Fixes
- Turning ERG off now actually releases the trainer. It switches to resistance instead of holding the last target.
- After a trainer reconnects with ERG off, it comes back at your resistance setting.
- The interval countdown no longer runs one second behind the elapsed time.
- Fixed a crash on the ride screen.
Changes
- The power bias now applies to the whole workout, not just the current interval.
- The bias readout shows watts and what that means for the current interval, e.g.
Bias +20 W / +10%. - A workout no longer ends on its own when the last interval finishes. Keep spinning to cool down, and tap End when you’re done.
- The ride screen now shows interval average power, ride average power and ride normalized watts.
- Speed and distance are no longer shown on the ride screen. They’re still recorded and included in your uploaded ride.
The Echelon bike unfortunately doesn’t use standard Bluetooth protocols, and they appear to be actively blocking people from implementing support for their bikes ( How I Built QZ—and How Echelon Is Now Breaking It - Roberto Viola ).
If QZ is working for you, I think you can use that as a bridge from the Echelon to RideWatts, but I’d rather not attempt to support bikes that are actively breaking integrations.
confirming i see 0.6.0 (209) in TestFlight now, will download it and do test it over next few days.
Hi,
I have one feature request: Have you considered some kind of “power match”? I have a rather cheap trainer that is not very accurate, but I do have a good powermeter on my bike. I currently use biketerra because of the power match feature (target power is adjusted based on the actual power of the power meter), but I would love to see this in a minimalistic app like RideWatts!
Best,
Michael
Hi @erice,
Got the message. The machine I’d load it on to begin with is Fedora x64 too, so that should work. I am, however, also interested in running stuff on a smaller, cheaper device, like an SBC ARM board. I have one too, but not in a “ready” state, as it’s being used for other stuff at the moment. That said, it’ll likely take me a little while to start testing due to other commitments. I’ll let you know when I’ve done the initial test and try to provide some feedback.
I do not currently own a discrete power meter, but I suppose this could be my excuse to buy some power pedals ![]()
I’m curious how this is implemented. You could put the trainer into resistance mode and change resistance to target a power, or keep it in ERG mode and correct for the error in the trainer’s power meter… I think either could work.
Not a 1.0 feature but I’ll put it on my list ![]()
Quick update, I’m moving towards getting a v1.0 release on the App Store/Google Play. There have been a few changes:
- Recording continues while app is backgrounded on iOS/Android
- On Android, you may see a new permission dialogue to allow for background recording
- Power increases are commanded in advance to give your trainer time to ramp up
- This can be configured or disabled in Advanced Settings
- The interval list now shows the %FTP for each interval
- Miscellaneous UX fixes and clean-up
I have a list of future features to work on, but the goal right now is to get the v1.0 stable and released. If you can update and give it a test ride, that would be great. Thanks to everyone who has given input on the app so far!
Thanks @erice for building this.
I’ve been doing my last few indoor rides with the App on iOS (iPhone 13 mini). Overall very happy with how well it works.
I’m on a Kickr Core 2 with Zwift Cog + Click v2.
Two things that could improve the experience:
-
Currently, the watt bias is in absolute watts and affects all steps the same.
It would be nice to be able to either link the absolute watt bias to the ftp, or set bias in %. This way all steps would be at say 90% of what they were planned. When I’m having a rough day and I can’t go for the 100% targets of my hard intervals I would like the recovery intervals to scale down relatively, e.g. also 10% easier, not 20 Watts easier. -
While riding there’s a lot of information on the screen. And most of it is hardly readable if the phone is not right in front of your face/in your hand.
Would be nice to have a “workout” screen option that shows the most relevant items (e.g. HR, Cadence current + target, Watts current + target. Remaining step time plus next 1 or two steps.)
Keep up the great work.
I should probably simulate on a smaller device like the iPhone 13 mini, probably needs a more compact view. It looks alright to me on my 6.1" iPhone Pro 14, but I’m not surprised the 5.4" display is cramped!
Agreed that we need a better way of biasing. I think having absolute / percent biasing makes sense.
Going to finish getting v1.0 out there but will add these to the list. Thanks for the feedback!