RPE fed from Strava

Hi,

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but is it possible to pull RPE from Strava to update an activity RPE in Intervals?

(If I have missed it, how can I refresh it to pull through as mine doesn’t seem to be at the moment)

Thanks,
C

It should automatically pull RPE from Strava. However Intervals.icu does not receive a notification when you change it so update might be delayed. If you change RPE on Intervals.icu then that value will apply instead and is not pushed back to Strava (the API doesn’t support that).

2 Likes

Ah Ideal! And completely understand it not feeding back from Intervals to Strava if it’s changed on here.

I’ve had a look back and mine doesn’t seem to have pulled through from Strava, do you have any tips I could try to get that working?

I had a look at this and unfortunately Strava doesn’t send this back for the ‘list activities’ endpoint. So the only way to get it to update is to re-sync the activity (“Actions” menu under ride timeline chart). I can’t do this automatically because it will use up to many API calls :frowning: Sorry about that.

2 Likes

i just saw that i had never ever get RPE pulled through from Strava !?
… if it’s strava field wat i thnik called “Perceived Exertion” ?

any idea?

I just had another look and unfortunately when Intervals.icu first receives the activity from Strava that field is not present (not captured yet most likely). There is no notification when it is updated on Strava. If you re-sync the activity it does load but thats a pain so probably best to re-capture on Intervals.icu. The “list activities” endpoint in the Strava API doesn’t return it so I can’t do this automatically.

Is there an article/link to help with this … I often cycle to work without an HRM or PM on my bike and for the reason(s) above I think the first-time save of the Strava activity doesn’t include RPE / Perceived Effort score so my fitness graph becomes even more inaccurate (I say even more because obvs RPE isn’t a proper replacement for HRM and/or Power data)

Unless I am misinterpreting what you are referring to, then RPE will have no impact on your Fitness graph as assigning RPE to an activity does not generate a Load and hence impact your CTL, ATL, TSB etc on your Fitness graph

1 Like

Thanks – I think you are interpreting what I am referring to correctly … so is it true that if I do a ride without HRM or Power Meter, my fitness graph won’t be affected (it’s as if I did not do any activity at all) ? Or is there a way to add some kind of manual entry (in Strava or direct to intervals) to at least try to account for the effort in that activity?

You can manually edit the training load for the ride and make it something reasonable based on previous similar rides with power or HR. It is next to RPE in the activity summary.

2 Likes

This is correct.

Yes, you can manually edit the training load as david has highlighted :slight_smile: and this will then impact your Fitness graph

1 Like

For me an easy 1h30 - 2h ride might be 42-45 TSS (load) / hour.

Hi David, I am too facing the same issue that RPE is not pulled for any activity since it is not present when it is uploaded to Strava from my watch. I believe that most people just update the activity title, description, RPE and others in one shot after they get Strava notification on their phones.

I think that a simple fix to this would be to check RPE when the Activity Name is changed? I am assuming the Intervals app gets the name-change notification from Strava?

Thanks much. What a great app this is!

I’m looking thru the docs and whats’ available in the API, I know that Strava only allows very limited amount of updates via the API (Name changes, descriptions changes are OK, RPE, Private activity are those that are not supported)

But in terms of webhooks, I don’t actually know what is being sent.

At least for Garmin Connect, After the initial push (when a new activity has been uploaded by the user) nothing else will be forwarded out. That’s why Name changes in Garmin after the upload will not get sent to Intervals.icu. (I found this out when I was implementing GarminConnect Support for BreakAway: Indoor Training)

But If I interepret David’s post above (RPE fed from Strava - #6 by david) - the short answer is No, intervals.icu doesn’t get notification of RPE changes when name/desc changes are made at Strava

1 Like

Thanks.

I have updated the Strava sync to fetch the activity from Strava when a webhook is received and update description and RPE if those have changed. So if you edit the name or type of the activity then Intervals.icu will receive a webhook and update description and RPE as well. If you only edit the description or RPE then Intervals.icu will not receive a webhook and nothing will change.

I couldn’t do this before because Strava rate limits didn’t allow for the extra call. However Strava are now much more generous with rate limits.

3 Likes