Resting Heart Rate from HRV4 and Garmin

I’m trying to figure out a way to track both my morning heart rate [from when I do my HRV measurement using HRV4] and the average resting HR from my Garmin. When I select to import [from Dropbox] the HR captured by HRV4, it populates the RHR Wellness data field in Intervals, however when I connect to Garmin Connect, the Garmin Ave RHR data then overrides the HRV4 data. I noted David created a Wellness field Resting HR (snapshot) but it does not populate with any Garmin data (for me). I’d welcome any suggestion/guidance. Thank you.

Health snapshots from Garmin should go to the custom wellness field with code “RestingHRSnapshot” instead of the normal wellness resting HR field if you have added the custom field. However you do need to enable resting HR in the Garmin box in /settings. I see you don’t currently have that ticked. If you tick that I can look in the logs to see if anything comes in.

Hi David, I ticked the Garmin HR box in settings, sync’d my Garmin with Garmin Connect and found again that the Garmin HR overrode the HR that was in the Resting HR field. Please see screenshots. The earlier one 20.38.08 shows HR = 51 [from HRV4], the later one 20.38.32 is after the Garmin sync, HR =46. I’m not seeing any data populate the RestingHRSnapshot field.
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 20.38.08
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 20.38.32
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 20.42.18

I have the reverse problem. I want to see the Garmin resting HR but the HRV4Training one clobbers it.
I tried turning on the RestingHRSnapshot but that seemed to do nothing. I turned off the dropbox connection for HRV4Training and then did a full download of garmin wellness data. That fixed some of the values but only recent ones.

I’d really like to be able to see the Garmin restingHR and the HRV4Training HRV data but I’m not interested in the HRV4Training HR because its not really resting. It can be quite high and doesn’t really reflect how I’m feeling.

I don’t see anything in the RestingHRSnapshot field either.

1 Like

I was never able to get anything to populate the Resting HR Snapshot field no matter which boxes I checked in the Garmin feed or HRV4 Training feed, so gave up, I now just let Garmin populate the Resting HR field and track my HRV4 Training HR in the HRV4 Training App.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s become my plan too. It’s sad not to have that data all in the same place but for me the Garmin resting HR and body battery are the best indicators of my physical condition. So I’ll manually edit all the ones that still have the hrv4traing values and be happy with that. :slight_smile:

You should be able to select what fields you want to populate. This is what I have

OK thanks, I’ll try that.

1 Like

The problem that I was never able to resolve was getting the Garmin RHR to populate the Resting HR Snapshot field as per David’s suggestion, Garmin and HRV4 Training both populate the Resting HR field for me. So I " disabled" the HRV 4 Training RHR from being sent to Intervals because I ended up with this back and forth issue of one over writing the other depending on which (Garmin vs. HRV4) sync’d last, so for example if HRV4 RHR populated first thing in the morning and then later I sync’d Garmin, the Garmin RHR would overwrite etc.

Reading David explanation. It’s weird then. Cos my resting HR From Garmin is going to the RestingHR field and not what you alluded to the “snapshot” version.

What field does your HRV4 Training Resting HR go to? In my case I find that both Garmin and HRV4 go to Resting HR and nothing goes to Resting HR Snapshot.

If you look at the above screenshot, it’s not selected as an item to be synced

I’m not a very consistent user of HRV4Training and this I only use RHR from Garmin.

Okay so I just completed some testing, please see the attached 3 screenshots for the results.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 12.58.57

Bottom line:
Garmin and HRV4 Training Resting Heart Rate both use the Intervals Resting HR field, they will continually overwrite each other. I cannot see a way to track both the Garmin and HRV4 RHR data in Intervals, it seems like you have to choose one or the other.

The Intervals Resting HR Snapshot field is never populated, I have no idea where the data for this field is supposed to come from.

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,
Have you done a Health Snapshot Activity with your watch? I´m asking because it was never explicit in this thread that you did one.

Hi Pepe, I have a Garmin Forerunner 935 which unfortunately doesn’t have the Health Snapshot function.

Then Garmin Resting HR Snapshot, and other Snapshot metrics, will never be populated in intervals.

1 Like