Recording Ambient Temperature

I ride exclusively indoors at the moment and my upstairs room in the summer of Southern California can get very hot (and also fairly cold in the winter - for me anyways).

Ambient temperature is such an important factor in riding, is there a way for me to automatically track that with a particular product or something??

Any guidance would be great!

My Edge 840 records ambient temp.

That pulls into intervals.icu automatically or did you have to write something for it?

There’s a field called average temperature , that pulls through from devices that record it.

IMG_0317

Sweet thank you both! I’ll do some looking around to see if there are any products under $500 that can record temperature - with Zwift I cant really justify the need to buy a head unit to my wife :cry:

My former Edge 830 also recorded ambient temp. But the unit died when my dog got curious :scream:. You should be able to find a 530 for about a third of that.

Garmin have a Tempe (temperature sensor) which sends ambient temperatures to many devices. Doesn’t help if you don’t have a compatible device. I’ve seen runners use it, but not cyclists…

1 Like

@Skyler I have used the tempe, it will do what you are after and is a cheap price. I bought one for running as watches don’t show accurate temperature.

1 Like

I was doing some poking around online and I did not find anything that suggested I could use the Tempe without another garmin product.

Unfortunately I’m in a fairly unique(?) situation in that I only have a Wahoo Kickr Core and Zwift and that about tapped out my budget for now.

Saving up for a “real” bike, so I don’t have the free capital to buy any garmin products as of now.

I appreciate all the insights and comments but it is seeming like I’ll be temperature-less for now

Garmin watches uses your wrist temperature. kea sense as it’s really the closest to your skin and thus the skin temp is influencing it

1 Like

What’s your use case?

Are you looking to correlate your performance vs indoor temperature or skin temp or even core temperature? Then check your performance at diff temp?

I think a CORE sensor would be more suitable than a Tempe for this.

1 Like

Yeah ambient temperature is ultimately just a stand-in for core temperature. It is the core body temp that drives performance- not ambient temperature.

Just that core temperature is another gadget to put on my body whereas ambient temperature would just always be present without strapping something on - that’s the thought

2 Likes

For this the tempe will be good. I use mine mainly for skiing - it is a bit sensitive in terms of where you place it, if you don’t want it to pick up your body heat - I have mine on the back of a backpack. Every time I start an activity on my watch in the same room, it connects to the tempe, just from it hanging there on the backpack.

I have one of these (ÂŁ10) and have a custom field that I manually just put the numbers in at the end of the workout.

I’ve seen there is custom firmware to get it to emit the readings via bluetooth but I never really looked into it.

For those finding this thread now, the field is now called simply “Temp”.

1 Like

I was also interested in this, especially in combination with core temperature measurements to experiment with heat training.

I’ve been using a Garmin Tempe that’s on my road bike that’s stored in the same room as my indoor trainer.

That way I’ve accurate environmental temperature measurements both indoor and outdoor. Found a good second hand deal for 15 euros. Well worth the investment to me.