Question about Totals summary (Polarized, Threshold, Base ...)

I have been using intervals.icu for some time now and find it a very powerful and very useful tool. The chart I am referring to the most is the fitness graph. However, this question is about the “Totals” page. Underneath the totals of combined zones, power zones, and HR zones, there is a chart highlighting if my recorded overall training is polarized, pyramidal, threshold oriented, HIIT, or base.

I wonder how this categorization is computed. From what I understand, sports scientists like Seiler and others do categorize training rides by their specific purpose, not by time spent in zones. A typical HIIT session for most of the time will accumulate much more time in Zone 1 (Recovery) than in Zone 5 or 6. So I wonder how intervals.icu will categorize such a ride. Is the categorization based on time spent in zones, or is there a specific feature that can spot if a ride is actually a HIIT session, even if most of the time is spent in the recovery zone?
I have been using the search function before posting here, but I did not find anything using the search terms “categories” and “totals.” Anyway, if my question is answered already, I would appreciate a link to the answer as well.
Thank you very much, and keep up the excellent work.

I remember there was some debate. Search classification and fastfitnesstips. The classification in intervals is based on model from fast fitness tips website
Can´t do a search myself right now

1 Like

Start here, with a discussion on the same matter:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @MedTechCD . With the term “fastfitnesstips” I found at least one promising thread in the forum.