Presets for three zone model for heart rate and power zones

Via

settings → power settings → power zones for FTP of 8000W :wink: → presets

you can chose different zone models like Friel etc. However you cannot chose a preset for a three zone model.
The same is true for heart rate.

Would it be possible to add a preset for a three zone model or do I overlook something?

I think @david said before that he set it up initially as it is now and to alter it now would break too many features.

Edit a 5 zone preset by deleting two zones (bin icon).

The ´Totals´ training classification will no longer be usable if you do this because it adds up Zones in the default way.

2 Likes

Thanks, but wouldn’t it be better to have a preset?
Can you please give an advice about the power zones, too?

Do you have a scientific backed source? A three zone model is normally based on 2 physiological parameters, AeT and AT. There are lots of methods to estimate those 2, one better then the other. A met-cart test in a lab is considered the Gold Standard.
I would advice to do a 20 min LTHR test for AT and use the MAF formula for AeT. Crosscheck MAF value with RPE and Breathing pattern to confirm you’re in the ballpark.

Both AeT and AT are ‘Steady State’ efforts. Use the Power values that come with the HR results. Retest as needed. For beginners, Power values will change (increase) quite fast. AT HR value will increase slightly as you get better at lactate clearing. AeT can increase quite far if you do your LIT in the correct way, but it takes a lot of time. We’re talking years here! Not weeks or months.

I don’t mean any complicated scientifically justified zones but a simple preset like the one that is used e.g. in the calendar to aggregate different power zones into three zones.

E.g. Z1 and Z2 are LIT, Z3 and Z4 are MIT and all above is HIT

That’s the best compromise at this moment. Use 5 or more zones and set top of zone 2 at AeT and top of Z4 at AT for both HR and Power. Then your classification will for training system will be more or less correct.
You can already display TIZ as ‘S’ (Seiler zones) on the calendar:

As I told you in the german forum: those 3 zones are my own model, given by my trainer. I just deleted 4,5,6 …

The only “problem” I see is the same @MedTechCD mentioned: in the ´Totals´ training classification should be a filter “Heart Rate”, “Power Zones” and “Both”

Ok, thanks, saw it. However I still think there could be a default preset e.g. in percentages of FTP.
But I do not know a published three zone model like this.

1 Like