Override Gear from Strava

I tried to see if this had been talked about, but so far, the topics seemed close, but not exactly what I am looking for.

On Strava, it only lets you select 1 default piece of gear. For me, I have my outdoor bike (my Ribble) and my indoor Zwift bike (my old Fuji). I’ve set my Ribble to be my default bike on Strava, since I am still doing a decent amount of outdoor rides, so on Strava, it gets set for both regular and virtual rides (wish you could just set defaults based on activity type on Strava…but alas). The problem is, that once the workout is uploaded to Strava and then synced to Intervals, I then have to override the setting on Intervals to get it correct when I do Zwift rides (since Strava is sending that I rode on my Ribble).

In the Intervals settings, there is a setting for “Default gear” and “Indoor Gear”, which I have set up as described above (Ribble default, Fuji indoor). Is it (or would it be) possible to have a way to override the Strava gear for these activity types on import? I am not tracking my gear usage in Strava, so I really don’t care about it being right there. I figure if there is a way to automate it on Intervals, it would be one less thing to need to remember to update.

This is one of my favorite external Strava “hacks”

You can set very specific rules around activities and it will update Strava for you, including what gear for each activity type.

One of my favorites is that I know any ride I do <10 miles is pretty much guaranteed to be on my commute bike.

1 Like

Then remove them from strava.

I don’t track my gears on intervals but I do believe there is option for default gears.
Rides for outdoor rides and Virtual Rides for Zwift.

yep… there is… see this original post… you can set default gear for indoor vs outdoors.

I have the indoor and outdoor gear set in Intervals

Gear

The problem is, that if I have my default bike set on Strava as “Ribble” and I do Zwift, then it gets set as “Ribble” on Strava and then imported to Intervals as “Ribble”, despite the fact that my “Indoor” settings on Intervals is for “Fuji”. The ask here is to override what Strava sends and set it based on the Intervals settings.

Sure, I could remove them from Strava, but I’ve been tracking since before I did Zwift, so I like the historical perspective that Strava has. Also, I just recently got my Ribble, so it has not been a problem until then. If that is the ultimate solution, then ok - but if Intervals is able to code an override, even better :slight_smile:

Oh this looks promising! Will check it out!

It will make Strava AND Intervals “more correct”.

It’s a great tool. I’m like you but worse, 7 rides a week on 3 different bikes, and I can ensure each has the correct Gear without touching it.

Another favorite: I generally don’t like to flood my public feed with non-cycling activities, so I have a simple rule to set things like gym and yoga activities to private!

2 Likes

That is a good call! Once I stop being lazy and actually working out off the bike, I’ll have to set those rules.

1 Like

Slight related… I’ve just completed a 100 mile run that had several shoe changes. Is there anyway to record this? Perhaps gear at lap level? I’ve had a good look round but can’t see anyway to do this. Many thanks!