[OT] Android on a VM for Rouvy

Hi,

I’d like to try Rouvy training software (looks nicer than Zwift imho). However, runs on Win10, Mac/iOS and Android. I don’t have any of those unless I’d use my phone. So I’d like to run an Android VM on my Debian Linux system using Virtualbox. Has anybody tried this? I tried it this morning and there are no Guest Additions so the screen resolution was not optimal. Might still be possible, but I went bicycling outside when the weather cleared up :wink:

Thanks!

Albert-Jan

What are you looking for, from Rouvy ? If you’re interested in their augmented reality, yeah, Rouvy is kinda unique for that. But if you want to ride on “real” roads with great video quality, great slope simulation, ride with virtual partners, and combine that with workouts, there is another nice app that is reasonably priced, and compatible with Linux (I’ve been using it for the last 2 Winters on Manjaro): BigRingVR.

I have just mailed BigRingVR to see if they have an API Intervals.icu could use to push workouts (like Garmin Connect). If you know anyone there please put a word in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. When I checked the Rouvy demos I got goosebumps. That’s what I was after :slight_smile: I installed Android Oreo and everything was working except that it didn’t detect my Bluetooth adapter. Also, 3D accelleration wasn’t working, maybe due to the simple videocard I’m using. I’ll spend one more session in it to see if I can get it working.

But, of course, I also checked https://www.bigringvr.com/demos.aspx which ALSO gave me goosebumps! Is that actual “game” footage? Good thing is that the software runs on Win8 and I have a very fast laptop with that. So THANKS for the tip! I hope I can try both options.

Best wishes,
Albert-Jan

PS: you write you’re running their software on Linux. How did you do that?

I contacted them and they provided me an AppImage to run the app natively (it’s written with QT). You only need an Ant+ dongle, and to modify a file (/etc/udev/rules.d/garmin.rules) with a couple of lines.

No, it’s not. It’s mostly shot from a moving car, motor cycle - Tacx has the same sort of videos, but Phil is riding around with a special (electrical) bike-based contraption.

For actual game (grand tour) footage, you’ll need to go to Sufferfest, or for ‘on bike’ footage, there’s Bkool, or some other party I forgot.

If you like the video quality of BigRingVR, which is vastly superior to Rouvy, also because it’s further deteriorated b/c of the virtual character (Zwift clone) integration, you can have a look at VeloReality. The SW is free and they offer streaming subscriptions, but also good deals on downloads.

Hi David,

Anything about this?
I wish I could run my ICU workouts directly at Rouvy.

Regards,

The BigRingVR people did get back to me and they don’t have support for workouts planned on specific days yet, unfortunately.

Thank you