No way to add watt / zone target as note in workout intervals

As stated in the title, it is not possible to write an interval like

- Z4 5' Z4

and see “Z4” displayed as note on the garmin.
The same applies to other targets like power, cadence etc.
I’d propose to fix this bug by including in the notes whatever is inside the - " " - chars, like

- "Z4" 5' Z4

and add the possibility to simply put what is written for the interval in the notes, i.e. for an interval written like

- 5' Z4 90rpm

the same string that define the interval is copied as a note. I imagine this functionality like a check box in which by default the string that defines the interval is copied as a note IF there is nothing in " " chars.

2 Likes

I agree, I’ve frozen the app in the past trying to label my steps with zones and Watts.

However, when you use the option “Add step” and write the same text on the “Text to display to athlete”, it just works.

Any extra text you want must be placed BEFORE the duration. You can only use one unit of measure (power, %FTP, Zone, HR).

Example:
Text description, Duration, Intensity or Zone

• Remain seated for all intervals 2m 110-120%

or

• Remain seated for all intervals 2m Z5

or

• Zone 4 5m Z4

1 Like

I think the problem is when you put some keywords as an extra text, like “Z4” or “300W”, or just a number “300” (I think it can broke here).

2 Likes

Exactly as @Povedano stated.

Maybe share the workout builder that is giving a problem. Then those with experience and knowledge can assist.

I tested now building a workout using the builder, putting some “forbidden” text in the “Text to display to athlete” and it is not displayed either in this way.

As a workaround you can include a dot at the beginning:

- .Z4 5m Z4

I think go with Zone 4 instead of Z4. I have to be very careful with making changes to the workout parser e.g. using double quotes around the text. Someone might have some workouts like that which break with the change. Disadvantage of a simple “unspecified” text format.

2 Likes

Thanks @david for your answer. The problem is when I would like to write also the duration and cadence for example. I think the easiest thing to do without modifying the parser would be to just copy the text written for the workout as a note (or better, append the text to the note, in case a note is present in the interval specification). This feature could be enabled by default or enabled with a simple checkbox. Do you think it’s feasible?