New Research Suggests Lowering Protein Requirements for Masters Athletes

I haven’t had time to read it in depth yet but thought it may be worth posting here to see what others may think, we have been told for some time that we need more protein rather than less.
LINK HERE

@Steve_Tucker: this is interesting. I read the news report and the paper. Thank you for sharing them.

I have the following thoughts.

1 There are two ways to do this performance-nutrition research. One is to identify the pathways through which the use of protein is controlled and then examine how these change over age. The other is to examine the total relationship between total protein intake and muscle mass / performance in relation to age. This paper devotes a deal of attention to the first, rather less to the second. But the second is the crucial piece of information for us – a scientist wants to know the pathway stuff; we want to know the recommendations.

2 There is not a lot of good research, and even less is long term. So I’d be putting a lot of “it seems” in the conclusions. But, that said, I’m pleased with the recommendations, since 1.8 g / kg / d is an awful lot of protein already, without having to up it even more.

At least I don’t have to worry about low carb diets or fasting, something I have never practiced. I am the type of person who has to eat the moment I open my eyes :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, @Steve_Tucker, there is always that. I too eat well [or at least, plentifully].