Merging planned workout sessions with completed workouts

Hi David. Firstly, thank you for creating and allowing us to use this amazing system.

You may have already covered this; if you have please direct me to the thread.

Am I able to, or do you have it on the roadmap to merge planned workouts with completed workouts?

Thank you,
Justin

1 Like

Thx. That functionality is there sort of. If you click “Options” and tick show compliance to plan it adds a color coded percentage to activities on days with planned workouts. This is based on training load if possible otherwise duration.

If you do more than one activity of the same type on a day then the total load is compared to the total planned load and they all get the same percentage.

Thanks, David.

@david What about this case? not sure if it’s the same thing as Justin asked.
I want to merge workout 1 with planned workout 2

Yes sort of. I have re-looking at this on the todo list. Right now those workouts will disappear on Monday when they are in the past.

Here’s an implementation by FinalSurge on merge workouts that I find working quite well:

1. Select merge or unmerge

2. Then confirm the workouts that you want to merge:

So do the planned workouts stay on the calendar until they are merged with a completed activity?

In Final Surge, yes. The idea behind this is that if a coach sets you some workouts to do for the next week, he should be able to tell if they were done or not. Also there should be a quick way to see if the workout was completed as planned, or not.
Somethings like this: Workout Completion Color Coding Feature | Final Surge Blog
They docs are old (they have a newer and better UI but how it works is the same).

Similar question as above. I have a planned workout and a completed workout that I would like to merge or pair. Some workouts seem to pair/merge automatically, but others don’t. Maybe I’m missing something?

Very much appreciate the help!

Drag & drop one onto the other if they don’t merge automatically.

2 Likes

Perfect. Easy enough. Thank you!

Drag and drop worked for me.

First time I’ve done an intervals workout for real. I’m a bit confused why it didn’t automatically link - I selected the intervals workout on my Garmin, so presumably this is within the file and should have linked. I didn’t do the same duration but one would hope that wouldn’t matter? Wouldn’t be ideal if have to double; check things were linked - I only noticed as the fitness graph seemed higher than it should have been :slight_smile:

If the workout and activity have very different load (213 vs 90 in your case) then they do not pair automatically.

Thanks @david, but I don’t understand the logic there?

If you attempted the workout, but didn’t complete it for example, or just decided to modify it, surely you’d still want it linked?

Otherwise you have to double-check the system in all these cases and could end up with the wrong data shown. Conversely, if for whatever reason you didn’t want them linked, presumably you could just unlink them manually in that case.

I’m used to Garmin I guess where once you’ve selected a workout it’s linked no matter what you do. That logic seems better to me but perhaps there are reasons beyond my scope of usage.

In any case it was easy to link them once I found this post - I don’t think I would have tried or assumed a drag and drop capability (and usually I’m on my iPhone rather than laptop). Was impressed that it worked.

Some people log their warmup separately and then this would get paired with the planned workout. That and people who do multiple sessions of a sport on the same day. Might have been better to just pair if the sport matches and let the few people with multiple activities sort it out manually.

I think I see.

I guess what I’m saying is the workout wasn’t just a plain cycle activity - it was the actual intervals activity selected as the workout on the Garmin head unit. In that case I would assume it would be in the data you receive and it would get linked. But if I did other workouts on the same day, without choosing a workout to attach them to at the garmin end, then I wouldn’t expect them to link.

Anyway, now I know how it works I’ll know what to expect!

Thanks again. I’m really enjoying looking at my (currently unimpressive) graphs for everything in one place. It’s been a bit of a learning journey but I’m getting hooked. Now I just need to try and workout how best to use all the data to maximise my improvement :grin:

1 Like