Issue with calculated swim pace training load

I’ve noticed that something could be wrong with the way a swim workout load is calculated, as compared to a swim activity. As explained on the link listed on the settings page (pace training load), its value is calculated considering the activity’s moving time (excluding rest).

However, when creating a workout, the load is calculated considering the total elapsed time (including rest). In some cases (high number of intervals, long rest stops) this results in a large discrepancy between the workout and activity loads, even if the latest has been conducted at the exact planned pace.

example : calculated workout load with rests

same workout, after removing rests (load should normally remain the same)

No, it should not be the same because load uses, as it should, Normalized Power.
Higher intensities in one block cause more load and fatigue compared to splitting them up with rests.

I agree that the way it would work in practice, but as far as I understood, the “pace training load” (for swim) is not supposed to be calculated this way (as per the link listed on the settings page : Calculating Swimming TSS Score | TrainingPeaks)
What I’m saying is that the calculation methods used for activities and workout seems to be inconsistent.

Hmm…
Intervals uses the same algorithms for cycling/running/swimming. Now that I have read the linked article, I can see why this may not be the best solution for swimming. But then again, there seems to be no ‘general’ consensus regarding load calculation for swimming. Training Peaks - WKO4 ‘proposes’ a new calculation method.
I don’t swim at all, so can’t really give an opinion on this.
What I don’t understand is that you mention a discrepancy between workout and activity load. Intervals is using the same algo’s for both. Or do you capture the activity load from WKO4?

Thanks @MedTechCD for keping this topic live!

Well, @david correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like Interval uses the same algorithm for calculating activity load for all sports except swimming, for which a specific method is used (the one from WKO4).

However, when the load is calculated for a workout (whatever the sport), the general “TSS” method is used (which is taking in consideration resting time)
If possible, it would be better to use the swimming pace load method (hence WKO4’s) to calculate the load from a swim workout, so that it is consistent with the matching activity…

Hope that’s clearer now!

The swim and run pace load calculations for completed activities only consider moving time. The same calculations for planned workouts use the whole duration (including rests) effectively lowering the intensity.

For swim: tss = intensity * intensity * intensity * hours

So this makes a big difference. The reason for using moving time is from cycling where using the usual TSS calculation including a coffee stop in a ride increases TSS which really didn’t make sense to me.

I could calculate pace load for planned workouts excluding rest steps (i.e. moving time) or I could use elapsed time for the pace load calculation for completed activities. Not sure which is the better option. Leaning towards the first one because the change will impact less people.

Or I could leave things as they are, just because this would be a big change and someone will be unhappy.

Hi David,

Indeed, if it’s possible to change the load calculation method for swim workouts only it would have more sense and less impact (not affecting existing activities’ calculated loads).

The trick I’ve been using so far when creating a workout is to first list all the intervals, note the corresponding calculated load, then add the rest times in between. The new calculated load then lowers somewhat, and I replace it with the one previously noted. It’s not ideal, but for sure I can live with that :wink:

Thanks again for the great work!

I have updated the TSS calculation for planned workouts using the swim load calculation to exclude rests.

Awesome, thanks for the update!

1 Like