Intervals.icu - 5 years old

On this day (04 October) in 2018, @david posted a link to this new analytical tool he was working on, on a local (South African) cycling forum, Bikehub; it would be his public-beta test, having used his own data for 3 months prior. Roll on 5 years, we have the application that you all know in its current form. Congratulations David, and thanks for this fantastic tool.

Where will the next 5 years lead us to?

A lot has changed from that initial post, to the system we see today. If you read some of the comments from David, it gives a timeline of the initial changes made in the early days.

• 04 October 2018, David opens testing publicly, where a few locals were able to test and give feedback, including a WT coach who was with UAE Team Emirates, and now with Team Bora Hansgrohe.
  • 25 January 2019, David looks to expand the system and go “international”.
  • 08 May 2019, Strava API limits are first noticed, thanks to an influx of new users - courtesy of Alex (FastFitnessTips). The rate limit is bumped up 2 days later.
    https://youtu.be/3XGHlk__gbo
  • July 2019, Support on mobile devices (tablets) is implemented, as well as a chat functionality.
  • July 2019, TrainerRoad mentions the software.
  • December 2019 the forum is created, allowing for awesome discussions between users

What has been your favourite additions to the platform?
For me, some of the features, but not everything:

• Workout Builder (I think Steve Neal was a great help with this)
  • Adding coached athletes
  • Custom charts
  • Connections (up/down) through the API
  • Supporter contributions to keep this software running

Let’s try keep this topic to highlights from the last 5 years, and perhaps any new changes that happen going forward.

64 Likes

Many congratulations, many more years to come

1 Like

Congrats on 5 years @david! I’ve been extremely impressed with this platform and the ability for me to actually bring together all of my fitness data into one view! The ability for me to accurately model how my workouts will impact my fitness was a key factor for me to trust my taper plan during my Indy Mini-Marathon this year and I honestly don’t know if I would have been able to trust the program without the fitness/form forecasting capability.

2 Likes

Congratulations and thanks!
We are lucky to have this kind of service :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2:

1 Like

I was playing with custom charts for couple of weeks just polishing them, bit by bit to my liking and must say I’m impressed how customisable and actually just amazing intervals.icu is. It is something different to make a site much better than even a big company like Garmin can make. Now I’m only affraid some big tech will bought Davids out :face_with_peeking_eye:

Some pictures, hope it is not too spammy. Wanted to start an appreciation topic but I think it is a good place here to just say loud how amazing job have been done by David. Big Thank to you! And to all supporters too! :slight_smile:

For me charts and ability to upload csv are huge.

7 Likes

Thanks Gerald for digging that up! I wouldn’t have guessed 5 years myself. A big part of the success so far is to you and everyone else supporting the project and answering so many questions on these forums.

@Lukasz_Pludowski That is an epic set of charts!

18 Likes

Happy birthday on 5 years, David! I found this site after watching Alex on FastFitnessTips and never looked back. Thank you for all the work you put into the site and I’m excited to see what cool things the next 5 years and beyond have in store for us.

3 Likes

Congratulations and please keep it up :+1:

1 Like

Congrat @david for creating such a wonderful tool and sharing it with us.

While there are many individual features that I find very useful in intervals.icu, perhaps the most valuable benefit to me is being able to collect and present all of my data from the various third-party platforms in a way that I can digest and understand better than any other platform I’ve used previously.

Much thanks.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 5 years @david and thanks for a wonderful tool. think Intervals is perfect just as it is.

2 Likes

Thanks and congratulations for this service
I’m really thinking of abandoning Golden Cheetah for intervals.icu…and of course paying for this service

3 Likes

Absolutely love intervals, only finding it a few months ago and is now my one and only dashboard to plan training and view data from rides

Thank you @david

2 Likes

Thanks for a great tool.
Good day to pull my wallet!

Money well spent!

3 Likes

Congratulations @David - you’ve built a best in class tool and a fantastic community. Kudos indeed. :raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

Well done @David and thanks for all the amazing work.
As both a nerd and a runner, I love telling anyone who will listen about my stack of Workoutdoors + Healthfit + Intervals that makes my sport so enjoyable. All of them independent software developers who are responsive, passionate, and I don’t hesitate to send dollars to.

Here’s to another 5 years! (and many more)

4 Likes

Congratulations and thank you for such an amazing tool. Thank you also to the community for helping to improve it

1 Like

Congratulations. With intervals.icu I have coached 2 athletes to triathlon world championships (and coached myself there too). Couldn’t have done it without the platform and the generally open approach you have to development which is such a contrast to the other platforms out there that want to lock everything down. Truly an incredible tool that continues to evolve.

5 Likes