Including Weight Training in PMC

I love what you are doing with intervals.icu. I’m using it everyday and am very happy with the steady progress. Thanks for that again.

Right now I am into planning my upcomming season. I want to include weight lifting for the first time to gain more strength at a neuromuscular level and also more overall stability. But I know that gym work will affect especially my overall training fatigue, but not directly make me more fit on the bike. I once saw a blogpost from Joe Friel and as far as I remember he recommends tracking combined ATL but seperated CTL. I think that would be a nice feature for intervals.icu too.

Furthermore I have problems to track TSS of weight training sessions. Maybe you or coach alex have any ideas about that?

1 Like

Thanks! Excluding certain activity types from CTL is an interesting idea. I have added that to do the todo list. I don’t know how to go about figuring out TSS for those. Won’t be much heart rate I assume?

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Yeah, using heart rate to estimate TSS for weightlifting workouts seems odd to me. Lifting weights is likely to exert more muscular than aerobic fatigue surely. So I think a measured HRTSS might be pretty low for quite a big impact on muscle soreness.

Still there are several techniques to estimate workload for weightlifting sessions:
Joe Friels approach to estimate TSS: https://joefrielsblog.com/the-weightlifting-pmc-part-2/
INOL: https://www.elitefts.com/education/engineering-physical-performance-reassess-utilization-of-inol-model/

On that topic we would need a little more knowledge. Mabye @fastfitnesstips you know something more about that topic?

But still I think it is worth to think more about this topic, since so many cyclists have weight lifting workouts included in their training weeks. Maybe intervals.icu can have a feature, where athletes can enter their sets and reps and exercises and intervals.icu determines TSS or rather includes just fatique to the activity chart. That would help with planning and recovery.

1 Like

You can do this now:

1 Like