Improved all activities search

I’m turning this question of mine into a feature request. :grin: How can I effectively search all activities?

I think the app could use much better “all activities” search capabilities than the current solution tucked away in Calendar View > OPTIONS > Search.

I’d love to have a way to open a modal that’s focused on searching quickly across all activities (for all time) with the option to filter by date ranges, activity type, and name/description (both fields combined, not just name), and which returns a more meaningful set of results than just name and date, and then allow sorting by a configured column (with descending date as the default order).

I think for most “all activities” searches, those 3 filters would be adequate for most cases in order to find stuff.

So the existing API /activities/search/q=STRING could be enhanced to:

1. Include activity description for the q parameter (not just name).
  2. Add optional from and to date parameters.
  3. Add optional activityType parameter.

And then return a few more fields per result than it does today.

This would also allow quickly comparing activities based on pre-computed information found in fit files (and I assume other activity sources) like avg speed, distance, elapsed time, total time, load, avg power, normalized power, avg HR, etc.

See the original thread for background info.

3 Likes

FYI, this was basically implemented today by @david: Search all activities from list view

Works really well!

And I see that the Intervals.icu API docs and Intervals.icu API docs APIs were also enhanced to search the description field of activities for the value of the q parameter! :smile:

1 Like