HRV training - to establish AeT?

Just started using the HRV logger training app to find my Aerobic threshold using the Alpha recording feature.

I just recorded a 6 hr endurance ride and noticed less than a dozen points where my alpha score was less than 1.00. The lowest 0.70 was at 160 bpm. Which seems rather high in relation to my AnT of 168 bpm.

Used a Polar h10 strap as tight as possible. Didn’t do any intervals or spiked heart rate efforts.

Plan on recording more but is it possible to have this high of an AeT in relation to Ant?

To get the AeT you should do a controlled ramp effort, it is not accurate with a free ride. If i remember correctly you ramp 10 watts every 4mins starting well below your expected AeT, eg start at 110w, 120w, 130w, 140, 150,….
No need to ramp up to FTP level as Hrv isnt a good metric for Anaerobic treshhold. Also, stop the recording right after the last interval, dont record a cooldown as that tampers’your results.

Ps, its no longer the belief that thenAeT is at 0,75 for everyone, rather look at the graph post exercise for where the trendlines cross.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this method using Power.

In all my research most of the conversation was HR runs and ramps. Probably because most examples Marco references are runners.

Does Intervals.icu let us plot those and see the trendline cross?

What app do you use for this?

1 Like

You can also track in Intervals.icu if you use a Garmin computer.

1 Like

I design workout in intervals.icu, use breakaway on ios for indoor trainer control, and use alphaHRV on my garmin edge to record hrv. I dont record with the breakaway app. I Just use it to control the trainer because of the larger screen than an edge and because it does powermatch between the trainer and my assioma pedals. Might sound like a lot going on, but actually a very straightfordward workflow.

1 Like

Has alphaHRV been useful in training? Real life/during a live session. I Don my have a supported Garmin device to play w it.