HRV-Guided Training

Yes if you update “todays” data it will update resting HR in settings as well.

1 Like

Read the conclusions. I used the Whoop for one year and eventually gave it up, mostly because of how bad the HR sensor was. Even a simple workout on the trainer, without moving my hands, the HR data was horrible. Imagine on an outdoor ride. They are ok at monitoring sleep and recovery, but strain measurement is off. By a lot.
I since moved to the Oura ring: it is a lot more accurate, it also integrates well with Apple Healthkit (which the Whoop didn’t) and so far (2mo) I love it.

3 Likes

I am using the Java library so now that I know the hrv stuff is interleaved with the records I can easily get those timestamps.

1 Like

Hi all,

I think this subject is simply fascinating! And thanks to Bruce Rogers (testing protocol) and Marco + his HRV Logger app, I could make a pretty consistent looking LT1 test which set my LT1 at 130bpm and slightly above 210W…
So I´ve made a first training and tried to achieve a goal - stay as close to 200W as possible and do not get over (with mixed success, it´s hard to stay that low on the uphill with my system weight) + high cadence (goal all the time at least 100rpm) and I ignored my heart rate. I had HRV Logger on my phone - in my pocket - and I was checking my Alpha 1 level from time to time. And most of the time I stayed over 0,75 - so I would call it a success :slight_smile:
At the other hand, I have a bit of hard times to find out how to analyse it now - I see a decoupling of 5,5% over those 4h - which I don´t like much and I would like to see a point from where it starts to “fell apart” - maybe kJ would be useful metric to check? In other words, I could see that if I burn a certain amount of kJ, than I am tired and my heart starts to drift… and check this over time if the number of kJs is getting higher over time… but I have no idea how to extract this info…
Also, that would be great to see the combination of Alpha 1 (from HRV Logger) over other metrics, like power, time etc in Intervals… but I have no idea if this is achievable, as in the export file I think there are only R-R intervals, not this rolling 2min Alpha 1 value from HRV Logger :frowning:

Any ideas here?
Thanks!

3 Likes

Blockquote. It’s worth remembering that the correlation between LT1 HR and a DFA a1 of 0.75 is purely coincidental - there is no physiological cause for it. Hence the need for much more experimentation / investigation and analysis.

I’ve been using Runalyze for this and I’m not sure it’s useful - its finding my DFA of 0.75% above my Lactate Threshold level which I am sure is not right.

Yeah, as I said, this is all still very experimental. So many confounding factors. I’ve tried it. found it interesting. Now it’s time to let the ‘scientists’ do their work to determine if there is something to this whole thing or not …

Usage of Daily HRV, Normal Values and Baseline by Marco

https://www.hrv4training.com/blog/daily-score-baseline-and-normal-range-an-overview

Great summary!

There’s a new kid in town…
https://github.com/IanPeake/FatMaxxer

DFA-a1 in real time with a Polar HR strap and Android phone.
Already tested by Bruce
http://www.muscleoxygentraining.com/2021/06/fatmaxxer-new-app-for-real-time-dfa-a1.html

App is in early development stage but looks promising. View on phone screen, audio message from phone or notification on your bike computer if supported.

8 Likes

Nice. A Java implementation … thats handy for getting this into Intervals.icu.

5 Likes

As a starting point, is it possible to add HRV data as a chart in the activity? Not sure if it yields anything useful, but it seems like a logical way of viewing it.

2 Likes

Viewed in this way it is basically a reflection of the HR trace in the y-axis (high HR corresponds to low HRV). If you load a FIT file into the free Kubios desktop software you will see.

I don’t think there’s much to be gained from studying the HRV time history like that, but having said that, I’m not against its implementation! I’m all for more data to analyse :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@William_Barnes is right. The FIT file only stores the RR intervals and that looks the inverse of HR. And you can’t simply plot them like the other numbers because they are not stored per second. They make up their own timeline. If you look at a FIT file with the RR intervals, you will see a very long list of them. Way longer then the second by second values for the rest.
HRV needs to be computed from those RR intervals after artefact correction. Standard HRV parameters (RMSSD/SDNN) don’t even have any meaning during exercise. You need the “detrended fluctuation analysis” which is a demanding computation.
The developper of Fatmaxxer is looking at possibilities to get the dfa-a1 computed by the phone app, displayed on the bike computer/watch.

2 Likes

Ah, I had assumed that the data would have been more parsed. Nevermind then.

I will be looking at this when I get a chance (have to do a bunch more running stuff first) but as @MedTechCD says it will require a custom chart and some processing work. I bought a Polar H10 strap just so I could play with this stuff.

7 Likes

Me too :joy:

2 Likes

Unfortunately the app keeps crashing on my phone :frowning:

And on my secondary phone too :cry: after 2-3 seconds the app just gets closed on both phones, so I can´t test it :frowning:

Raise an issue on the GitHub page and include the Debug Log. Start the app and immediately go to the top right menu - Export Debug log.
Which Chest strap are you using? I read on Twitter that the H7 still has a problem.
I (too :grinning:) have bought a H10 and have pretty good results on my Sony Xperia Android.
Did an endurance ride of 2hr yesterday, with Fatmaxxer running permanently. Tried to keep my dfa around 0.8 and confirmed afterwards by analysis with the colab page. My AeT comes out at 135bpm, which is about what I expected.
Will try it on a longer endurance run tomorrow to check if it is equally usable for running.

3 Likes

I have the same problem :thinking::thinking::thinking:

The app don´t do anything and after 3 seconds crash and close

I found that setting the preferred device seemed to stop Fatmaxxer from crashing for me (Polar H10).