Heart Rate Zones range settings in i.icu (was: "different from Strava"; now: "not matching power zones")

I’ve a similar problem with HR zones, i.e., my HR zone distributions are always shifted way lower than the power zone distribution (for cycling, inside and outside).
I understand that for HIIT that is largely due to the slow(er) response of the HR, but even for endurance rides I do have a strong difference.

My THR comes from a 20 min test a while ago, but it is in line with values I get on longer (4/5/6 min) intervals at 110–120 % (when HR does go beyond that THR).

For instance, here’s the data and zone distributions for an (outside, Gravel bike on “forest highways”) endurance ride, the marked interval is 75’ @ 70 % FTP:

Average HR for the 75’ min marked interval was 129, for the overall ride 126 – thus, in that 70–80 % corridor of THR that Friel differs from other zone settings … might that be the point?

What are other possible reasons for the lower-zone short of HR vs. P (power)?

@David , looking a bit more into this I would prefer to have (at least the lower) HR zones set differently., e.g., according to Coggan, to match (my) power better:

Would it be (or ist it) possible to adjust these zone settings as user?

You can modify them as you wish on the settings page. Open the HR zones for the sport and remove unwanted zones by clicking on the recycle bin icon. Modify the HR values with the values you want (you can’t modify the % numbers so you will need to calculate teh numbers upfront).
TIP: start modifying the highest HR values first or you could be blocked when trying to set a lower zone that passes the limits of a higher zone.
If you want to get back to the former settings, use one of the preset sets.

2 Likes

Oh so easy – thank you @MedTechCD !

In fact, I need to paste a screenshot here in my previous/just killed answer to see the “edit” button next to the table header to realize what to do… And, yes, I can edit. And Coggan is even there as a preset.

Thanks @david for i.icu! (cannot be stated often enough;-)

1 Like

Noob question, but how do I get my actual power% and HR zones to display in the chart?

I only see this:

You can’t currently. Its more complicated that it seems because your zones can change over time.

1 Like