Heart rate recovery and fitness on activities

The activity detail pages now show HRR (heart rate recovery) and the fitness stats.

HRR measures how quickly you recover after a hard effort. It is the largest drop in HR over 60 seconds starting from a HR of at least Z5 (threshold). It is shown in the heartrate trace on the chart. Recovery sections in activities with power are ignored if the average power is more than 1/3 of FTP or 5s power is more than 1/2 of FTP. So it is best to freewheel. The general idea is that, the faster or greater your drop in heart rate, the better your recovery - www.pezcyclingnews.com

1 Like

I like this feature but it doesn’t appear to work for my data set. Possibly my average HR isn’t high enough to trigger the functionality? Here’s an example of my 5 x 4 min VO2 max intervals

where my maximum interval HR reaches 92 - 94% of Max HR and Z5/Z6 per my HR zone chart. I’m wondering if you are using average interval HR to trigger the functionality. If so, maybe a nice feature would be a user-configurable trigger point.

Your power during the recovery time is too high so it throws those out. I will make those parameters configurable. What I was trying to avoid was getting a lot of spurious “not good recovery numbers” ITO the Lambert and Lamberts protocol. But it would still be nice to know how you recover for work like this.

I have just changed the acronym from “HRR” to “HRRc” to distinguish it from “Heart Rate Reserve” (tx @fastfitnesstips for the suggestion).

Easier solution: I have dropped the power checks but now record the average power during the recovery. So one day soon when Intervals.icu supports plotting HRRc over time it will be possible to filter based on power.

Busy recalculating everyones HRRc numbers. Will take a few hours.

1 Like