Hammerhead Karoo 2

Well, I will try SF - they have a 14 days trial period - and depending on my level of satisfaction, I will keep it longer or go back to BRVR+Xert… Another benefit with this combination is that I can also listen to youtube videos, or even play some game on my smartphone :stuck_out_tongue:

Not in SUF - the minions will flog you :joy:

1 Like

So, not before the end of next month…

I had a mount failure (Type2 center screw) on my Karoo on a regular street without conspicuous provocation. The garmin mount is over-stressed for the Garmins which are 60-80 gm lighter and the HH K1 is 180gm. Garmin boards talk about mount tab failures on its stuff there.
The device is great, and Hammerhead folks are very good.
Better than Garmin is a low bar to clear, both , really all, overpromise.
Karoousers.org explains the side loading well , and I haven’t use Workouts, but if you are on TrainerRoad it appears OK from appearances. I don’t a need $190/yr TR sub.
Mount problem appears addressed well in Karoo2, though you may be better off with top tube bag, as inelegant as that is.

Synching with RideWithGPS is also supported on the Karoo.

1 Like

I bought a Varia headlight prior to my Giro - it snapped of during the descend of the Valparola and bounced off a cliff. Devices like that - I once experienced the same thing with a GoPro, but that was saved - are often too heavy for their mounts.

1 Like

You mean, as an APK ? Or can you import your routes and navigation cues in Karoo’s app ? Segments ?

“And I’ve been very pleased with its navigation and maps. I build routes in RidewithGPS and more recently with Strava after their routes upgrade. Both sync with my Hammerhead account, which in turn syncs with the Karoo. No files to export/import.”

1 Like

You can import routes via sync with the web dashboard, which in turn syncs w the Karoo. I am not sure about segments, POIs, or any custom navigation cues you may have in RidewGPS, but the Karoo generated nav cues in the fly.

Workouts can be uploaded directly from the Karoo over WiFi to Strava and RidewGPS.

1 Like

I just - flawlessly - imported Strava and RideWithGPS routes into my Hammerhead account.

However, one of them from RWGPS, had a cue sheet - this is missing in the Hammerhead entry.

I do not have my Karoo 2 yet, so I can’t test it, but I expect that there will be turn by turn info once the route gets transferred to the Karoo

1 Like

Isn’t that slick? I love how seamlessly that route sync works.

The current Hammerhead platform doesn’t have cue sheets but indeed, the Karoo generates Turn-by-Turn instructions on the fly. In the navigation settings you can elect to have the TbT information display to be “Always-On”, “On Cue”, or “Off”: https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/articles/360047752813-TBT-Banner-Settings

I haven’t synched and routes w POIs, but apparently that is supported too:: https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/articles/360036632794-Importing-Points-of-Interest-POI-from-RideWithGPS

2 Likes

I wouldn’t race with a Karoo (not the first one), first reason being weight, and second no one has time to play with a display while racing, esp MTB.

I have 3x Wahoos (Bolt/ROAM) and the Karoo (and ordered the 2) and always race with the Bolt (just need a data logger, and maybe couple data fields)
The Karoo si great for touring/navigating and some workouts.

How do you sync your (pinned) routes from Strava and RideWithGPS ? I don’t see the “Sync routes” button on my dashboard, I can only import them manually, url by url, one by one !?

Yes, the route sync for the Karoo has been very disappointing.
I don’t understand why they can’t just sync my favorite routes as soon as they’re made, like the wahoo does.

According to them, its possible: https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/articles/360045233754-Syncing-Routes-from-Third-Party-websites
But I don’t have this option on the dashbord.

It’s not that difficult… I just hit that button and it fetched another starred route (Saturday).

1 Like

I use Strava, and this feature works seamlessly on Strava.

1 Like

My dashboard page is different, what browser are you using ? My Strava and RWGPS accounts are linked, I have several pinned routes there, but no sync button on Hammerhead…

If Strava is a linked service to your Hammerhead account that should be enough. I literally import or create a Map in Strava it automatically syncs to Routes on Hammerhead

Oh, I found the way:
1- I’m not a Premium Strava user anymore, so I can’t create new routes on that service,
2- I first manually imported a route by copying/pasting a URL from RWGPS,
3- Once the route was listed on the Dashboard, the Sync button appeared. From now on, the Sync is always visible,
4- One click, and… done !

So you can’t sync your routes if you haven’t already manually imported one ?

1 Like