Garmin Power target change error

Is it possible that this problem with Garmin is because workouts are contains an error because of intervals.icu?

Target watt is different from actual target watt when I go into Edge power target menü.

Are you sure that you didn’t mixup actual Watts and %FTP?

What do you mean?

Workout is only 3 row:

-1m 40%
-1m 60%
-1m 80%

I don’t fully understand what is going wrong because I can’t read the language on the Edge screen.
It might help if you show a screenshot of the workout you made on Intervals.
Workouts made with %FTP need to be send to Garmin with absolute Watt values. So it is important that the FTP is set up correctly in Intervals and in Garmin. Otherwise the absolute value calculated is off.

1 Like

Watts are ok on Garmin, I updated my previuos comment with screenshot. FTP is 266w.

I wonder if workouts sent from intervals to Garmin can be viewed within Garmin Connect itself? If yes, how does it look like?

Not sure, but when you go into the Edge power target menu, isn’t that supposed to manually override the target from the workout file?

Target watt 160, I go into menu that shows 160, but when step into menu it changes to 106 watt and it take actual immediately. Garmin said it drops because of I used Assiomas, ín this video I paired vortex only for Power source too

Garmin connect screenshot:

Today I Will test this same workout edited in Connect.

If you pair both, Garmin will always display the power from the pedals (real power meter has priority) but will also always send the power target as is to the trainer. With a wheel-on trainer like the Vortex, the differences can be quite high.
But since you only paired the Vortex now (as a trainer, I suppose), that still does not explain it.

I use Assiomas for Power source and that is why I checking lap average power that shows real Power and I want to manually correct with target power. So I do powermatch manually​:joy::joy::joy:

I need to test without Assiomas, because it was a good excuse for Garmin :upside_down_face::grimacing:

Hmm… Used to have a Vortex and I can tell you that this will be a stressfull experience. Vortex isn’t giving a stable power untill about 10-15 min after warmup. And it will start floating again when there are significant target changes.
The best thing I found to correct manually and a free of charge solution is to use Ergvideo. If you setup 2 riders, where one is a dummy controlling the trainer, and the other is you with pedals and HRM coupled, you can change the dummy FTP easily during the workout and match the real power from your pedals.
You will need an ANT+ dongle and a Windows workstation.
Check this:

Another fully automatic solution, not free but affordable, is to use TrainerDay app on your cell-phone. The PowerMatch function works quite well with Vortex.

And here is one of my posts explaining how to get better results with wheel-on trainers:

I tried a lot of solution, Trainerday is great, I did a lot beta tests for them. But this year I used only Garmin and it is most simple solution for me, with this problem too. I dont need pc, tablet, phone or anything, I love that.

With calibrated Vortex it is correct enough for me, I change target watts comparing to Assiomas during the workout.

Now I am sure it is clearly a Garmin bug. I made a WO in Connect and problem is the same.

Workout:
1min 100w
1min 150w
1min 200w

2 Likes

Garmin response : “it is not one that has been widely reported.”

If you have the same issue please report to Garmin maybe they will correct it sometime:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/

Garmin topic: Power target change - Edge 530 - Cycling - Garmin Forums

1 Like

Got a new answer today:

“Thanks for following up on this matter. I have received information from out engineering team that this issue will be specifically addressed in a software update, but I do not have a planned release date for this software update at this time.”

2 Likes