Garmin Device Changer - export

RunGap and FitFileTools offer the option to change the device in a fit file so that when it is imported in to Garmin Connect, it is counted for training load metrics. Would it be possible to have this as an option, for example with the auto-export to Dropbox?

My use-case is finding a way to get indieVelo workouts in to Garmin Connect without processing them one by one in fitfiletools.

IndieVelo has an option to export to Garmin Connect, at least on the MacOS version.

Edit: I see they say Garmin are not accepting any new connections to automatically upload FIT files to GC.

That’s not what the OP wants / is asking tho. AFAI Understand it.

Correct. IndieVelo cannot export to Garmin connect, and even if it could, it likely would not be considered for training metrics as they have locked that down. intervals.icu also cannot export activities to Garmin.

If intervals.icu could change the device reference in the fit file for export elsewhere (e.g. Dropbox) then at least it would just be a matter of dropping the files in periodically.

I have set up a long winded hack to achieve it using run gap, but I have an Android phone so it is particularly cumbersome to keep an old iOS device alive just to to achieve it.

1 Like

Oh… That’s too bad. I was thinking if I can do this via my app. Cos I’ve already coded the ability to get the raw fit file (from Garmin) to be Uploaded to Dropox and Intervals.icu (aim is for Zwift/Rouvy/TR rides which Garmin will not forward out)

But didn’t think as deep as was concerned over the various Developer Fields that may be present in the file

BTW, for FitFileTools, when you do a change (I did a timestamp change), the Laps also got changed to all having the same (changed) timestamps

Hi @app4g It would be great if your app could do this. Potentially detecting the activity is not in Garmin and providing the user a dropdown of the hardware type they own to import into Garmin Connect. I did try exporting from intervals.icu and using the fitfiletools website to change the device, but it didn’t allow me to import into Garmin coming up with an error. Cheers

actually, it did allow the import, I had to select ‘original fit file’ in intervals.icu and use that rathar than ‘fit file’. If this process could be somehow automated would be pretty cool

I’m not sure I understand this statement. Why do you need to have this “hardware type”?

From my understanding, for workouts to

1. be able to be counted for Training Load Metrics
  2. To be counted for Garmin Badges etc

These workouts has to be completed by

1. A garmin hardware (watch / edge unit)
  2. Zwift / TrainerRoad / Rouvy (I believe. I didn’t personally verify but that’s what DCRainmaker’s article says)
  3. Garmin’s TACX App

YOur latter post indicated you’ve successful in uploding the workout, I presume also that you managed to change the device to one of the above. So, now the only thing you’re looking for is automation correct?

Something to think about.
tx

1 Like

Hi @app4g

I don’t specifically care about the device type myself, but was just seeing if it was possible based on the original post from @James_Eastwood_Socks

When I imported earlier today I didn’t change the device type I was just happy to get it in there.

I do like to get the badges, I just checked and it hasn’t added the km from this ride imported fit file so that could be a reason to change the device type.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi @app4g
I just tried changing device type and importing again. It imports but still didn’t add km to badge.

It did however update the training load that @James_Eastwood_Socks may be after. See image showing the load added for 20 March

What device type you using?
My App, I fake it as the Tacx App.

I tried Garmin edge 530

I have a very longwinded workaround using RunGap. Something more automatic and not relying on an iOS device would be great.

1. Download the RunGap app to your iOS device.

2. Pay for the swag bag add-on. It’s £10 for the year. Worth it IMO until Garmin change their approach to 3rd party support.

3. In RunGap, set ‘source’ to dropbox and ‘destination’ to Garmin Connect. You can filter which activities get sent to Garmin. I limit mine to ‘virtual cycling’ activities.

4. When you set source to dropbox, it will create a RunGap folder in dropbox with import and export subfolders.

5. Set up intervals.icu if you are not using it already and sync from indieVelo. In intervals.icu, set up activity sync to Dropbox. Point to the RunGap import folder.

6. In RunGap settings, click the option to fake garmin device

7. In RunGap, enable autoshare (including background sync)

1 Like