Garmin Connect sync now supported

Thanks!

Yes thats correct.

Ok thanks for clarifying. The drawback I see is that we will loose the naming of the activities.

I can’t see my previous activities from 2018-2020 from Garmin Connect. only Strava workouts are uploaded(

1 Like

Hmm. Your “Download activities” box isn’t ticked in the Garmin section of /settings. I have just fixed a bug that might have caused that process to silently fail in sign or after. Please tick the box and then change the “From xxx” date and see if that works.

deleted account,creted another, have made 2-3 log ins and log outs and in an hour activities appeared. Thanks great. looks like I am here for a long time and going to go to Patreon. Thanks great to You!

1 Like

How often is the sync done? And when is the sync done?

On the settings page it says: “Activities downloaded from Garmin Connect will replace those from Strava”. I understand if I activate both sync options, Garmin and Strava, then going forward Garmin activities are preferred over Strava ones, only if there is an activity recorded exclusive on Strava, the Strava connection is used. For now I chose to sync from Garmin starting Dec 31st 2020, but what happens if I date back? Are then activities existing on Intervals and synched originally from Strava replaced by the Garmin pendant? If so, I assume I loose the activity title and also the activity kind (e.g. I changed only on Strava from default cycling to weight lifting)?

Garmin Connect sends new activities to Intervals.icu as they are uploaded from your device. Intervals.icu also polls for new activities the first time you go to the calendar page after going to the site and when you click the refresh button on that page. Garmin only deliver the activities some time after the poll however.

Yes the Garmin activities will replace the Strava ones. However the Strava activity name, description and type are kept. Power and HR data edits and intervals are kept if the incoming data has the same number of records (might not be the case if the activity was cropped on Strava).

So you should probably keep the Strava activities if you plan to stay on Strava or you want to look at left/right power balance (coming soon!) and other things not available from Strava.

1 Like

My question is:

If today I disconnect from Strava and connect to GC, all the data until today from Strava don´t have any change?
And after today only new activities from GC is synchronized or the activities that I upload form file.
I ask this because I have a Wahoo and I don´t have all activities on GC

That’s correct. The Strava data will stay so long as you do not revoke Intervals.icu access to your Strava data (in Intervals.icu or on the Strava apps page).

1 Like

Hello David, when people create a new account, do you encourage them to use another API than Strava ?

I plan on moving to retrieving the activities from Garmin if name syncing is done, is it possible ?

I think I read that the name for Garmin activities currently imported is basically just “Morning Ride” or similar, rather than the title on Garmin Connect. Having checked some of my files using fitfileviewer this tallies as they lack any name in the original file. However, when following a workout, that workout name is saved in the fit file:

@david, if cannot grab the strava (duplicate) activity title, or when there is not one, is this “wkt_name” field used to pre-populate the actvity name used for intervals.icu? Personally, that would be a lot more helpful for me than “morning ride” or similar.

Cheers.

Yes the 2nd part of the signup process presents a page with buttons to link either Garmin Connect or Strava.

Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any way to get activity names from Garmin Connect.

Tx I didn’t know about that. Do you mind mailing me one of those files. Should be easy to implement.

Cool! I’ll send you an email with one of those files in now.

I started my account with the Garmin Connect sync, however it was not syncing activities older than two months. I started syncing with Strava afterwards and now I have a ton of duplicates.

You have to set starting date for Garmin Connect download (on settings page) or set “All” for “Download activities”. The sync also take a while (hours?) if many workouts.

Date was set to 2019. Nothing changed for days.

Tx for the file. I have implemented support for using the workout name for the activity name if it is in the .fit file. I also added support for RP_Power … it shows up on the ride timeline chart now.

1 Like

It starts off downloading approx 87 days of history. When that has arrived you need to scroll down on the calendar page to get it to load more. Unfortunately its all asynchronous i.e. Intervals.icu asks Garmin for the data for a date range and it shows up seconds or minutes later (or not at all if there isn’t any).

I think I need to look at that date and load everything from then onwards if needed.

The Strava activities should have been deleted and replaced with the Garmin ones.