Form calculation based on fatigue of previous day

In trainingpeaks as well as in elevate, form for today is calculated based on fitness of today and fatigue of yesterday. If I remember correctly the reason was a definition by Coggan.
For consistency I think it would be good to do same with intervalls.icu.

2 Likes

I have agonised over this one! It seemed logical to me to show your form after whatever you have done on the day (like distance, time etc.) not before any activities. However at the time I didn’t know that TP and Elevate uses the previous day for form. Had I known that I would have gone that way.

I could change it … what do you guys think?

1 Like

I really don’t care - it’s the number I look at, which, if calculated consistently, is what matters…

Just wondering: does your method not more accurately show me tomorrow’s form, which I would like to see after I do my activity for today?

4 Likes

I prefer the TP method on this one. It seems more logical to me when you’re looking at projecting future numbers, a race day for example. Although, I don’t really need to worry about that for the foreseeable future…

We have three measures: long term load [misleadingly called fitness], short term load [misleadingly called fatigue] and the balance between them [misleadingly called form].
At this point, not having done today’s workouts, it would seem to me that a logical measure of my physical preparedness to do the workout would be the balance between what I’ve been doing short term and what I’ve been doing long term – ie, the way that it is now. Ie, I agree with Cyclopaat.
Of course, keeping things consistent is also important.

5 Likes

Bumping an old post but i just started using this platform and ran into this same issue. A toggle option to shift by a day for the form score would be much appreciated.

It always made sense to me to look at this value to see how much fatigue you can expect in your workout from the effort of the previous day. Day after a hard ride you feel fatigued on the bike corresponds with the through in your form curve.

coming from a GoldenCheetah user, where you can set it up like this.

1 Like

An option to do that is on the (ever growing!) todo list.

3 Likes

Hi first of all thanks for all the effort you have put in intervals.icu

I do believe it would be nice to have the option for the next day too. I find form an important metric to monitor to see if I can go hard the next day or if I should ease of a bit. Form is supposed to represent the physiological respons of the body from a training session. That does not happen instant but after a rest. So to me it would make more sens to have it being based on the previous day.

2 Likes

Awesome website and tool, congratulations!!

Jumping in this discussion, I also observed the form is anticipated, so it should be based on fitness and fatigue from previous day. Take a look here on how they do it: Fitness trend "Form" has to be based on yesterday's "Fitness" and "Fatigue" · Issue #579 · thomaschampagne/elevate · GitHub

2 Likes

Could it not show both then you get to see the effect of the exercise on form.

I guess this is what people are asking for with toggle. Just thinking from a coding POV might be easier.

I suppose the advantage of toggle is that the chart is less complicated.

As a newbee I have to admit I don’t yet quite get it all. I have been keeping a keen eye on form, fatigue fitness and performance. I find it quite fascinating. Though when I show my wife and try and explain my extrapolations she does not seem to have quite the same level of engagement.

Thanks for all the hard work on this site.

1 Like

+1 to preferring to see the fatigue value before the planned workout (if forced to choose) a la Training Peaks, or better, having a toggle. Thanks for all you do!

1 Like

Does this mean if its green b4 I run but red after thats fine as I was good to go when I ran?

I am trying to carefully manage load as I keep getting injured recently. My graph is currently very red. Its green today but I know if I run it will red again?