Feedback about JOIN Cycling App

Does anyone use JOIN for structured workouts?
below is the link

1 Like

I have used it in the build up to an event. I really liked it. You can specify what goal you have. For instance, you can input what kind of event it is with what kind of intensities and durations of effort. the app adjusts the plan to that event. Some events are known to them, so it’s already tailormade if you select those.

Also, you can decide when to skip a training or select if you want to do something else. The app with automatically update your whole plan.

In my opinion it’s the best ai based training app for cycling. Only issue is… that I do triathlon and I wish there was a triathlon version of Join!

2 Likes

I am using it for some months now too.
You have different goals where you can train for.
You can define your availability for every week and even every day.

What I like best is that it is very flexible.
You receive a general plan for your goal and the way leading there.
But like every plan, there will be times that you can’t stick to it as planned.
Sometimes you have no time, you feel ill, even have time for an extra workout, …
That’s no problem.
The app also asks for feedback after every workout, how it felt for you, and adjusts the plan if necessary.

The plan adust itself everytime you do a training, miss a training, perform a different training, etc.
Always with the general main goal in mind, to adjust you towards it.

For me it feels like I have a personal trainer where I can have contact with and have feedback to keep me on the right track towards my goal.

Only thing I don’t always like is that most workouts are intervals.
But then again I guess that’s the preferred way of improving.

1 Like

I used this application for a few months and I liked it, it seems to do the same with the advantage of being free :wink:

3 Likes

This work very wheel :wink:

Opera Instantâneo_2022-12-08_161254_www.pillar-app.com

Big thread on TR forum which is worth a read… JOIN cycling app - Training - TrainerRoad

Im trialing this. I like most of it. Here’s where is lacking:

1. Information about the why and how trading plans are set up and evolve.
  2. Value proposition is not there without the trainer control feature.
  3. I don’t think it accounts for the stress of other activities (skiing, weight lifting) properly.

Edit: It would also be nice if you could filter the workouts by different criteria. Instead of the big bucket system they used now, which takes a lot of scrolling.

2 Likes

I received an email saying that they are working on trainer control, to be released this year.

Accounting for other sports (weight lifting, rowing and skierg in my case) would be fantastic. You can still enter them but I don’t think that the plan is much influenced. In the aforementioned email I think that they said they want to incorporate running as well.

Overall I love the flexibility of this app, highly recommended.

1 Like

if you enter a running activity it does affect the progression, load count, etc. The problem is mostly with Ski…I understand why they don’t do weights. But Nordic Ski is just like running.

I’m training with Join for just under a year now.
I kind of like it. It’s great for shorter workouts, however, when I want to da a workout that 2h or more it always just tells me to do a very long Z2 block, then some work, then another long Z2 block.
I used to train with Trainerroad and they do a much better job of keeping long workouts amusing/fun.

They also just increased the pricing from 60 euros/year to 90 euros per year. I don’t think I’ll sign up for another year. Today I stumbled across the workout library function on Intervals and I think I’ll just use that. I’ve come to the point where I think I can judge when I need a taper, base phase, build phase etc.

1 Like

Today I’ve subscribed for 6 months to experience Join.

Is there a way to sync workouts with intervals.icu? I would like to see (and plan) workouts here, as I use this patform as my central hub.

Thanks!

You can export workouts from Join to for example zwift and import in intervals in the activities tab.

1 Like

I know, but lot of manual work… :wink:

Added a public activity field called ‘Join score’ that is a close approximation of the score/level as provided in the app. It is a script based on FTP/Kg and CTL so no Join subscription needed. When adding it to an activity (custom > search field) and then re-analyzing historic data (select all in activity list view > edit > analyze) it can be used to show the Join score trend in the ‘compare’ tab. Note that using different outdoor and indoor FTPs will affect the data.

4 Likes

I would love to see some kind integration between the two. I have really grown to like JOIN Cycling. Right now I email the workouts week to myself from JOIN as a .fit file an upload them to here. It works just fine, but takes a little work.

4 Likes

That would very likely have to be done by JOIN. You could try contacting them. If enough people ask it might happen.

4 Likes

I actually just sent them an e-mail with this request. I was trying the manual process by downloading the ZWO file (which JOIN) emails to you, and the import using the activity (add entry in Calendar). However, this didn’t work on my iPhone as I couldn’t select the ZWO file using the File Select dialog. The FIT files that JOIN can also email also didn’t work as there was no start date entered (error reported by JOIN). Strangely, on my MacBook I could simply upload and select the ZWO file.

Also, the upload function in the calendar view doesn’t allow selection of ZWO files? Might make it slightly easier to upload manually and once intervals detects a ZWO file, then open the Add Workout entry with everything filled in automatically?

1 Like

Found this through the JOIN requests website and tried you approach. When I add your custom field, the script it empty? And edger re-analyzing an activity, the field remains empty! Could you perhaps share the script code or am I missing something?

Just asked to create an API with intervals.icu. See screenshot for their answer.

Yeah, seems there isn’t any script anymore… @Jan_T could you have a look?

1 Like