Do Garmin structured cycling workout targets display

Had been doing more structured workouts in Garmin past couple months. All made on Garmin workout builder, mostly targets are power %ftp or zone, or using Garmin warmup/recovery terms.
I generally insert a lap button press after each recovery so I can easily extend as required for traffic and re-position.

I’m wondering whether intervals should be able to display the workout targets by default. The reason I ask is as far as I can tell I can only see it for one workout, and even there the steps are out of sync.
All the others don’t show anything.

So did I get (almost) lucky with the one that showed something, or does it usually work but is failing to interpret my workouts for some reason?

Examples below.
I think I skipped a couple of iterations with lap presses but presumably it’s all contained within the workout on Garmin?

The targets display if you have the activity paired to a scheduled (in Intervals) workout.
In the above case, you can sync (linearly) by using the Options menu, there’s a workout slider to delay the workout to sync.

Sorry you’ve completely lost me there :grinning:

None of these were planned in intervals or in my intervals calendar - all Garmin.
But ONE of them shows the targets in intervals (albeit out of sync).

If I understand correctly you’re saying the targets don’t show unless they have a matching scheduled intervals workout?

In which case that’s a shame, and I guess this one was a random accident?

targets (as in planned workouts chart) can also occur if the completed workout has embedded workout targets set. Intervals.icu can extract them for display.

These workout Targets can be something which was embedded directly into the FIT file.

you can use fitfileviewer.com to check.

1 Like

I forgot that part. Activity fit files can have the workout embedded. That can be extracted by Intervals to not only display the targets, but also to save as a workout in the library.
Thanks for reminding :wink:

1 Like

In my case everything had come in from the Garmin connect setup. I don’t believe I changed any activity manually in intervals along the lines mentioned.

And presumably all the activity files are the same, yet only one activity shows the targets and they don’t line up.

Mmmm

Ok, I take that back. Following David’s guide you linked I managed to extract the workout. So I guess I must have done it on that one randomly while exploring.

Now, that’s some of the conundrum solved.

What I see now, is intervals isn’t offsetting the targets to correlate with where the workout was adjusted with lap presses. So they look out of sync here, whereas in Garmin they line up.

Maybe that’s a limitation of moving outside the Garmin ecosystem, or it’s something intervals doesn’t currently check for. Would be great if it could be investigated at some point as it’s so useful having the targets displayed.

Apologies I feel like I’ve asked loads of stuff since joining - had a bit of time to devote to it this week! I’ll shut up soon I promise.

Just adding a few more details for this from a workout today, showing the workout target power out of sync with the actual workout steps.

Could be the lap presses? I used them every segment in this workout (as I usually do, to get myself into the right place), and I can see the offsets vs Garmin, as intervals is seemingly miscalculating the step starts and durations - in fact it looks like intervals pushes them too far down the workout - for example in this ride I just stayed on in the cooldown and did some extra zone 2 riding as it was so sunny, so the intervals were nearer the start as per the Garmin screenshots.

(I had 5 x intervals repeats but skipped the fifth with another lap press as I could just feel early warning signs on my calf so figured 4 was en ought for today).

What is really good is how the workout comes in on request and I now see that clicking on the workout also shows the text details for it. So I will now experiment re-creating some workouts I have on Garmin, and whether they work the same and shoe the text prompts the same. I think when I tried previously I didn’t have the 3s lap power thing, so was given a graph instead of the bars on the workout page.
Be interesting to see how the lap presses work compared to Garmin’s ones.

Here’s the Garmin workout steps and the first part of the intervals from the corresponding workout. From what I can see from the conversion, a step that is purely a lap button press with no duration in Garmin seems to translate to 10m in intervals but they may be a red herring.

As a side note, my zones probably still, aren’t configured properly. I went a bit hard on this workout as it was windy/gusty and not flat so its always a bit tricky and I tend to find erring on the harder side often evens out better especially since its 3s power as well. So It seems in power I’m past the ideal vo2 max zone, but in HR I dont get into the right zone. As I understand its not something to stress about too much as hard bursts should still achieve something towards vo2max but at some point I’ll try and dial it in so intervals and the Garmin all have the same zones that correlate to the most useful zone display… One for another time. Now back to riding in the rain tomorrow, after one amazing day of sun here in the southern UK…