Decoupling for running

Is there a reason why decoupling and running efficiency is only available for cycling and not for running?
Or do I overlook it for running?

I think it is a simple addition to include it for running?

3 Likes

Decoupling is only available if you have power.
For running it would be intresten to have it with GAP.

2 Likes

I do have power (Stryd). In the Netherlands I donā€™t think GAP will make a difference :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Isnā€™t the Stryd power going to the default power trace then?
Because I have a Coros Pace 2 with wrist power and all Power related metrics are available.

I had to add my running FTP to my account open that window. Itā€™s working now!

Should have tought about thatā€¦
Itā€™s the NĀ°1 reason for missing metrics.
:+1:
Still think GAP (or speed) based decoupling would be interesting.
Iā€™m following up on Speed/Watt for ā€˜techniqueā€™, Watt/HR for ā€˜Fitnessā€™ and Speed/HR for overall running performance as indicated by Jim Vance in his book ā€œrun with Powerā€.

5 Likes

Do you think most people will end up running with power soon? I think the power calculated by devices is likely to be a much more accurate ā€œGAPā€ measure that what Intervals.icu can do with noisy altitude and GPS data.

1 Like

I think it will take a while but is moving in that direction. Although any devices measuring running power have a barometric altimeter so altitude data is a lot more accurate. Also worth noting there is currently no single standard for running power so Garmin running power != stryd running power. So hard to compare between runners but good for comparing your own runs as long as you remain in the same ecosystem.

2 Likes

No question that the running power calculated by the devices is much more precise than GAP, but pace against HR should be enough to verify trends and fitness improvement.

Me and my garmin fr55 will cry in silence without running power for some years to come still :frowning:

2 Likes

On my Coros Pace 2, I have ā€˜wrist powerā€™ and ā€˜effort paceā€™ along the traditional pace.
Analysing the running workouts in Intervals, takes normal pace and calculates GAP with the Strava Run model.
I only run for maintenance of aerobic fitness, no real performance goals. But for my endurance runs, there is negligable difference between Coros Effort Pace and Strava model GAP. And trends follow almost exactly the Power metric.
So all in all, if your watch has a correctly working barometric elevation and a good GPS behaviour, the Intervals GAP calculation can do just fine as far as I see. But I never do hard efforts when running, so there might be more difference with those.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a good question. GPS is pretty noising for GAP and its annoying when my best efforts seem to be mostly fake from GPS jumping around where I look at GAP.

But I personally would really love to see the following:

1. GAP based efficiency / hr/pace zone 2
  2. No 1 above but trended over multiple weeks
  3. GAP decoupling interesting but I personally donā€™t look at it much in cycling. Think Iā€™d be more interested in 1 and 2 above because Iā€™m just looking to see improvement overtime.

As I am adding miles I expect decoupling to remain or get worse. It also would skew 1 and 2ā€¦ Would want really to trend my pre-decoupled data to see that Iā€™m getting better when fresh and to trend where decoupling starts to see that my fatigue point is moving after more minutes running.

I donā€™t have any power for running but would love trending Joe Friels suggestion:
Aerobic Threshold 2 ā€œIf you are also using a GPS device, when the workout is over, divide the normalized graded pace (NGP) for the AeT [aerobic threshold] portion by your average heart rate for the same portion to find your efficiency factor (EF) for this session. An increasing EF over time indicates that your aerobic fitness is improving.ā€

This is super clunky to figure out, but with the decoupling feature you can set the warm up and cool down so possibly have a number automatically calculated for the EF for that activity and then trend it on the fitness page.

That is Efficiency and decoupling in the same way as you do it for power.

EF is Speed/HRavg. But I think it is better to take Avg speed iso Normalized because normalized accentuates high peaks and if you have GPS troubles, Avg will much more reflect what youā€™re looking for. Normalized speed will be inflated when GPS is less good.
Decoupling based on speed is then 1 - EF second half/ EF first half. Multiply by 100 to get %.
One way to use it is to determine how long you can go before exceeding 5%. Then work same HR to increase time before decoupling. Speed and time before decoupling should go up if you train consistently. HR remains the same, preferably close to but lower then AeT.

1 Like

I agree! I think you would be suprised by how many people compare their speed for Z2 rides or runs. Basically everyone without a powermeter I reckon. I live in the flattest country in Europe, so a speed / Hr in z2 metric would do the trick. Iā€™ve got power indoors, so I wouldnā€™t use it for cycling, but for running it would be great!

1 Like

Hi, in TP they use ā€œAerobic Decoupling pa:hrā€. Could it be possible use in non power related activities like running and Nordic skiing? And why not calculated for all activities?
Tried to make a custom chart with duration or speed vs Decoupling but could not. It could be useful in investigating aerobic base .
Br Steve

1 Like
  1. GAP based efficiency / hr/pace zone 2
  2. No 1 above but trended over multiple weeks

With the feature of custom activity fields, I implemented something related to this, but used pace instead of GAP to reduce errors in GPS data.

You can add the custom field ā€œAvgPace at HRZ2ā€ to your activities and then chart ā€œAvgPace at HRZ2ā€ to your fitness tab :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slick!

Is there something somewhere to tell me how to do that?

Edit: Looks like this feature was recently added? ā€œComputed activity fields Computed activity fieldsā€

Activity chart page - Custom (bottom of page) - click on the ā€˜looking glassā€™ field button and scroll down to @Matheus_Silva 's shared field to select it.

Fitness page - Options - Add chart - Add plot and look for the field to;plot it.

1 Like

Thank you! Starting to see how this all works now

1 Like

Is there a java script available for pace:heart rate decoupling for running?

Thanks for this. I would also love (like the above comment) pace:hr decoupling as a percetage from first half to second half of the activity. Iā€™m not super proficient with Javascript but if anyone else has more experience I think the implementation should be possible (correct me if Iā€™m wrong).

Calculate pace / hr for the first half of the activity (split data index in half) like @Matheus_Silva but keep all zones not just zone 2, then do the same for the second half to find the percent decoupling via pace.

Basically Iā€™d love a feature like training peaks has for aerobic pace decoupling, Iā€™ll have a play around with some Javascript but if anyone else has thought of this / done this Iā€™d love to hear about it. Thanks.