Customizable wellness data

Hi there,

I use TrainingPeaks’s ‘metrics’ data to track a number of general data points about my performance and physical well-being. They have a pretty exhaustive list! I hope to replace that with the Wellness Data on Intervals.icu. What is available today is a great start.

Perhaps instead of adding new metrics to the list based on user request it might be better to offer customizable metrics where the user specifies the metric name and the measurement type (e.g. a few options could be offered - a number scale from 1 to 10 or selectable “poor”, “avg”, “good”, “great”, etc).

The user could then collect the custom metrics and track and graph them as required.

3 Likes

I did consider that but decided to rather “add on request”. That way Intervals.icu knows what the metrics are (for possible future analysis, machine learning models etc.) and they can be nicely integrated in the UI and used by other users.

It’s relatively quick to add new ones. So hopefully the ones you want are of interest to other users.

Ok, I understand. I’ll take a look at the most useful ones (for me) and propose a few to possibly add.

Looking at what I use consistently today, apart from those you already have (that also fit the wellness theme) there really is only 1 would add right now if feasible. Not sure about how useful it would be to others though!

• Lifestyle - It tries to capture how stable or unstable your current life situation is at home, at work and in your training. It is captured on a sliding scale from UNSTABLE (lots of travel, work and life stress, etc) to ROUTINE (calm and able to focus on training). We all know life and work get in the way of training (and the other way around), so this gives me a way to add that perspective to my training and performance, and track it over time in relation to other factors.
1 Like

Now that I think about it, the other one that would be useful and along that theme is whether I am sick or not. This is more a yes/no question and also relevant to training and performance.

Sick is currently handled via the “Events” mechanism. You could use the “Stress” option for “Lifestyle”?

Ok, I’ll check out the Events mechanism. I appreciate your patience with users who should just RTFM!

Stress does for sure somewhat equate to lifestyle. However, for me (outside of covidy times) my work involved a fair bit of travel and that was a major disruptor to my training as were/are other lifestyle-related things like having young kids or the excesses of the holiday seasons (food, drink, parties … hoo boy).

Now, of course, whether anyone things tracking my excesses during my Xmas break are worthwhile for a product like Intervals.icu is definitely up for debate! :joy:

I’d like the ability to add lactate data to…

1. Wellness events. (I record fasted lactate in the morning as well as blood glucose.)
  2. Workouts, i.e. for lactate tests.

I have added lactate to the daily wellness data and will deploy Sun AM (GMT+2).

The workout stuff (adding whatever custom data and plotting it) has been on the todo list for a long time. Hopefully can get it done.

Do you capture lactate into a spreadsheet? Or some other software?

For lactate tests I record lactate measurement in a spreadsheet. I have been documenting fasted lactate levels in TrainingPeaks. Fasted lactate provides information about systemic inflammation, most especially in the gut.

Thanks for adding lactate to wellness data. My aim is to finally remove myself and my coaching from TP.

Not sure if these fall under wellness or not - but I’d like to have more extensive data for sleep and body composition:

Sleep:

1. Time in light sleep
  2. Time in deep sleep
  3. Time in REM sleep (my current device doesn’t record this, but presumably future ones will)
  4. Time awake
  5. No of awakenings
    (All but REM are already available from Garmin Connect from my Fenix 3)
    There are also Sleep Efficiency and Sleep Quality - currently, Garmin only provides me the former. I found this info:

The calculation for Sleep Efficiency is very simple; it’s unclear to me if Sleep Quality is a quantitative or qualitative factor.
I found some interesting articles on training, overtraining/over reaching and Sleep Quality. This is a pretty random selection.

Body Composition:

1. Weight
  2. BMI
  3. % Body Fat
  4. %Body Water
  5. Lean Mass
  6. Bone Mass
    (Fat, water are sometimes reported as % and sometimes in actual mass. Bone and Lean seem to be usually reported as mass)

My Withings scale provides all of these, but the native integrations with Withings don’t transfer all of them. Sometimes only weight, sometimes weight and Body Fat.
On top of that, Garmin won’t transfer anything but weight via native integration even if it’s entered into Garmin Connect unless it came from one of their own Index scales.

My workaround is to use SmartScaleSync to send all the data from Withings scale to Garmin and MyFitnessPal. Since Garmin won’t provide all of it to Intervals through native integration, I was going to use FitnessSyncer to bring it all to Intervals, if David is able to add those additional parameters.

1 Like

I do plan to add the sleep stuff (also bedtime and wakeup time) when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Cool, not urgent of course.
Although - I think it might be kind of frightening to see my bedtime on a graph…there are days when I go to sleep close to the time my wife wakes up… :frowning:

Hey @david - just curious about where this sits on your list. Just got a Fenix 7 so it would be cool to plot some of the sleep data. I’m sure lots of other stuff is higher priority.

In regards to “customisable” wellness data, @david, would it be possible to have wellness fields that could be user-added and user-labelled and then tracked?

There is a field that I would like to track but I’m uncertain that many other people would use. (I suspect, based on initial conversations, that it would actually be helpful if people could get into the habit of tracking it daily: mental health, which is different than mood. But this data would need different/multiple labels for different people.)

Cheers!

1 Like

Is it possible to change the scale to a 1-10 scale? For example soreness and fatigue are 1-4 scale, can we modify it? Thanks

1 Like

I am going to be adding custom fields of various kinds soon. Wellness is a bit tricky because some work is always needed to visualise the data nicely on the calendar etc…

2 Likes

Thanks David, Awesome work