Commute Detection

Here’s a new one.

How about automatically flag rides that are commutes?

User inputs home and work locations as points. Then set say a 1mile buffer around this and look for rides that start at one and end at the other maybe have length within 20% of the straight line distance as another filter.

I might have a go to do it via the API in R/Python too.

Be good to toggle totals and fitness with commutes on and off.

Is the ‘commute’ flag imported from Strava? If so, you can use http://activityfix.com to set it there.

2 Likes

That’s pretty neat actually. It also has another feature I was thinking of for selecting gear for things where there’s cadence but not power etc.

Be good to move away from Strava dependencies but will definitely check this out.

I assume you can hide gear on strava?

Does intervals.icu filter out activities that are marked as ‘Commute’ in Strava? I cycle to and from work a lot and I just noticed that I don’t think those rides are shown in the Activities section of intervals.icu (and so are not contributing to my Fitness graph)?

I just found the ‘commutes’ toggle in the Activities page UI …! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to find somewhere to say “12 commutes not shown” or similar on that page. Catches a lot of people out.

1 Like

Ooh, should be able to achieve something like this with the custom metrics, this could be a fun exercise (especially as covid has robbed me of actual exercise aha)