Coggan type category determination

Tagging this as a bug report, but it could just be a question.

The “type” field on the Power page, under the Coggan power profile display. I mostly train 30s sprints and it categorized me as a sprinter. One day I did a 1 minute power test, had a very successful run, and it recategorized me as an “attacker.” This all makes sense, and aligns with Andy’s writeup on this.

Today, I had some very strong 30s sprints, and got a pretty significant increase on 5s power. My power today only increased on 30s and below–the rest of my curve remained the same. In other words, the left side of my curve only became higher today, which I would have expected would further solidify the calculation for sprinter/attacker. Instead it now says “all rounder.” How does increasing my 5s power suddenly make me an all rounder?

Does this make sense in some way, or is it a defect?

I don’t know that there’s any training function for this field, so this is probably more of a cosmetic issue. Just struck me as odd/unexpected.

Those profiles are based off how you look on the “Coggan Male” comparison tables (CAT1, CAT2 etc.). Its not very scientific, I need to find a nice reference somewhere on how to do it better. It is just cosmetic.

It looks at your CAT for 5s, 60s, 5m and 20m power. If your 5s is higher than all the others then you are a sprinter. If your 1m is highest a puncheur etc… I have just tweaked this so you are a sprinter if your 5s CAT is at least your 60s CAT and higher than all the others!

2 Likes