Code contribution via git

Hi,
Can I implement a niche feature and contribute the code myself?

Intervals.icu is a great platform, and I would love to contribute. There is a little feature almost no one would use but it would be awesome to have.

I have looked up David on Github and I was not surprised to see that intervals.icu is not a public repository. But maybe there is an invite-only option to contribute or something.

Regards
Markus

Intrigued. What’s the feature?

Garmin Edge only allows 50 steps in a workout and no ramp-ups/downs, and I would like to create a feature that converts ramps to steps so that the workouts use those 50 steps and no more or less.
(If you download a workout as fit file or sync to Garmin)

1 Like

Tx. Intervals.icu is fairly complicated to run and work on and there are all sorts of data privacy issues so its not very amenable to open source. I am trying to make it extensible using Javascript run on the server e.g. to calculate custom activity fields, create custom activity charts.

Also it has grown organically from an “only Strava cycling analysis app” to “multisport with planning not tied to Strava” so the codebase isn’t all that neat and tidy.

4 Likes

How to contribute?

Right now you can’t contribute the the project itself. It’s closed source. There are all kinds of issues with trying to make a multi-user thing like this open source (data privacy being the number one concern).

You can build custom charts with Javascript and Plotly and share those.

1 Like

Hey,

that´s a bit disappointing to hear. I think its worth considering going the open source path. This might require additional time and energy, which will not yield any new features. But running a one men show is typically not a sustainable strategy long-term. I would love to contribute myself.

Cheers,
Markus

PS: Great platform!

3 Likes

Totally understood. Data security is serious business.
Also minding availability and a quality service in production, is harder with open sources online services. It would require a very rigorous testing regime.

3 Likes

Yep Intervals.icu runs on 8 machines (3 front-end for the services and 2 db server clusters all for HA).

I am trying to make it as extensible as possible. There aren’t too many things you can’t do with all the Javascript extension points and the API.

4 Likes

I’m a new user and absolutely love it, would love to contribute if that becomes a possibility in the future!

1 Like