Change interval type: work-->recovery

How does one change an interval type, i.e. from work to recovery?
In the image below, my aim is to compare all the 60" intervals listed one after another without the 2’ RI’s confusing the visuals.

Clicking on the edit icon only allows changing the label, not the type.

If you delete a work interval it is replaced by recovery (and maybe merged with adjacent recovery intervals).

2 Likes

I ask again because I can’t have what I think i will have. I make a programmed workout with warm up - 4*(work+recovery) - cool down but every intervals are marked as work

You just have to delete the interval you’d like as recovery.
Click on work, then in the pop up press delete. That interval will then turn to recovery.

(You can also do it in the activity chart by pressing 'D" when the mouse is on that interval but I always prefer to just do it on the intervals page)

3 Likes

Is it also possible to create a recovery step for the interval in the workout builder?

2 Likes

Not directly but you can just create a step with low HR or power. For workout FIT files generated by Intervals.icu the step will get intensity of REST for Z1, RECOVERY for Z2 and INTERVAL for Z3+.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks I will decode some FIT files to see what is going on. So far my watch always shows “Run” for each interval step. A similar workout created on Garmin Connect does show the rest step as “Rest” on my watch.

Did you get the workout onto your watch by uploading from Intervals.icu to Garmin. Connect automatically? That works a bit differently. Garmin have a JSON API and they generate the fit file for the device.

I have just fixed a bug that caused all non warmup/cooldown steps for the Garmin upload to be INTERVAL. Now you should get rest, recovery etc. as above.

1 Like

That was quick, thank you very much!

Do the steps now also automatically show as rest/recovery in the intervals section of an activity?

I’ve just tried this on a run, setting my recoveries to z2 pace. On Garmin they got named as “Rest” rather than “Recovery” but otherwise as expected.

When the workout is synced back in intervals everything is shown as work.

I can work around all of this by manually editing but would be nice to default such that when the workout is synced into intervals the recoveries are not classified as work. However, this is a very minor in the scheme of things

1 Like

Hi David,
I noticed this change on my Garmin watch the other day.
Do I understand correctly that from now on endurance athletes (who do the majority of their training in Z1-2) will be doing REST and RECOVERY all the time? That would be pretty unfortunate, I think.
Is there a way to change this behavior from the user side? Do I have to change the workout text description on intervals.icu somehow?

2 Likes

Agreed, have also noticed this recently, would prefer not to have Z2 run segments automatically named recovery

2 Likes

Hmm. I am not sure how to handle this. Should I make Z1=recovery and not worry about rest?

I have mostly reverted to the previous behaviour:

2 Likes

Would it be possible to have “Run” show as default and allow people to specify in the workout builder if they want to change it to “Rest” or “Recovery”?

1 Like

I need to figure out how to include that in the workout editor. The new default should show run unless the step has really low power, hr or pace (less than 80% of top of Z1).

5 Likes