Cavell's The Midlife cyclist

Hi all: Pez cycling has a review of what seems like an interesting read for we who are age-challenged: PEZ Bookshelf: The Midlife Cyclist - PezCycling News.

Quincy Five
Thanks for the book rec. Downloaded.

“But his suggestion of getting off the bike from time to time to do other things, such as weight training or alternative sports, is seen more and more as beneficial, particular as athletes age and muscle mass declines even as endurance is maintained.”
Great quote from the article.

Also interesting his perspective on the uselessness of VO2Max.

David Williams

Steve and Alan, do you mean a discussion of the book, or Quincy’s quote from the book? The question of why we ride and how much is optimal for good health and longevity is perhaps as much philosophical as it is scientific (given the limited research on over 60 cyclists) and would be a good discussion I’d venture.

This book has been on my radar for a while and the Pez review nudged me into buying, but the paperback is not readily available online, and my first choice of ordering from my LBS (local book shop, the other LBS!) will take at lest a month. I’d prefer a real copy over Kindle so for now, I’ve found several podcasts where Phil Cavell is interviewed so I’m starting with those.

Tom Field

David, Could you point to said podcasts?. I’m not interested in the Kindle edition either, and with a whole house full of books at this point, I’m loath to add to the library if I can obtain the information elsewhere.

David Williams

Tom, I’ve checked out three Cavell podcasts about the book, and so far the Midlife Athlete podcast from October 2021 is the best. A fairly deep, philosophical dive into cardiovascular issues, polarized training along the lines we’ve discussed, and interestingly, his recommendation that knowing your HRV is more important than your FTP. (I may start a topic in the forum on HRV as that’s something I’ve been doing and now have Oura ring to track it overnight.) Cavell who is just turning 60 also says he can only do one hard session per week. Spotify. (If you don’t have a Spotify account, you can likely find it in your preferred podcast app)

dkrenik

Re: Cavell’s “The Midlife Cyclist”. I guess that I’m going to have to go back and re-read it. I recall it being an enjoyable read - more conversational than prescriptive. I also recall not agreeing with all that he states. The “Masters” training book that I keep going back to is Friel’s “Fast After 50”.

1 Like

While running errands yesterday, I caught another podcast with Cavell that I would recommend. He has a relaxed chat with two friends, a London chiropractor who treats cyclists, and the owner of the oldest cycling shop in the UK. Some interesting insights. Although the book includes technical data (e.g., Chapter 3’s deep dive on cardiology is twice as long as any other chapter), Cavell characterizes the book as more philosophical than technical. Spotify

I’m leaning toward the $12 Kindle version, since the paperback is hard to find and currently priced at $45 on Amazon in US.

I read the book. I didnt find anything new really. It was more confirmation of what I have been seeing mentioned elsewhere for the aging athlete. The one point that struck home was a comment that we are better to increase duration vs intensity. So if we are doing intervals we are better to add more intervals to our workout and extend the durantion vs increasing the intensity of the intervals. Same for the longer rides. Go longer not harder.