Better Fix for HR spikes

Sometimes at the start of a ride, my HR just goes higher than it should be. eg

Would to be possable to smooth this out? I guess it could look at the Watt , work what the HR should be and smooth it out.

Or… just maybe select the block of data, zoom in and have a truncate HR for current view

love this tool btw

2 Likes

It does smooth it out. It takes the HR before the spike and the HR after and plots a line between them. Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

You can also use the “Edit Data” button to manually change the HR points and the “Fix Data” button to apply scaling factors and so on (though that is more useful for power).

1 Like

Does it really matter? If your HR is all over the place with drops and spikes, yes. That usually means the signal is poor due to a connection problem or battery.

But other than that, I wouldn’t think that the occasional data error is significant.

@SteveDrakey also try to moisten the HR belt contact patches before the ride. Typically bad HR readings disappear once you start sweating

It does matter, I like my graphs that why we are all here… isn’t it :wink:

I understand issues can come from low bat or a dry strap. This will have been dry strap issue and I should have sorted it before the workout.

Edit data would work, but would take some time, its not a gap so taking last reading would not help its OVER HR measurement.

I am over it now, but it still would be nice if it just noticed the over measurement and rather than fixing it to your max it could fix it to the avg before and after the over measurement. It can detect the issue it just applies the wrong fix.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 Like

Bump

Myself and a number of athletes I coach experience HR strap data ‘mounds’, which throws out data analysis as the OP mentions - GIGO.

In the manual edit, would it be possible to highlight the range of incorrect data fields (even just by a single page would be faster) so I can replace the incorrect data with just one number. ATM it takes a long time.

Thx in advance. Regards

Toby

what about this
https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/peak#view

that has a peak remover

+1 on that… I do the manual edits as well sometimes and it is quite slow doing it field by field. I have been thinking of something similar to VS code (or any other edotor)'s multline cursor option.
mc
Maybe this is realistic to implement.

@david going to hijack this request for a better solution for HR by adding a request to be able to edit Torque, even if it’s alongside the existing HR and Power option.

Would love to be able to produce torque this high. It skews the vertical scale, for the rest of the workout.

Zoom to the part that you want to replace and use Fix data with the following setting (this will replace all values within the visible part by 130)

4 Likes

I guess you do know that you can improve the chart by making your own Torque chart and adjust the axis limits?
But that’s only going to improve the chart visibility, not the values.

1 Like

I did know, but didn’t consider it. Thanks

The torque stream is computed from power and cadence. If you show the cadence stream you should get a “Cadence” checkbox in the fix data dialog. I am assuming that bad cadence is what is causing the sky high torque.

I am going to try make all possible checkboxes show up whatever streams are selected. It’s not good UX right now.

1 Like

Thanks @david - fixing the cadence solves the issue - it showed 46, 1, 48 then in the 90s for the rest of the start of workout. Changing to 90 for those three values was the solution.

I can’t remember which workout my screenshot (above) came from, but I solved it on another ride. I’ll find it evnetually.