Automatically calculate HR Zones

Hey David

It would be great if you could automatically calculate HR Zones baed on historic activity data? A bit like how you estimate FTP?

I’ve realised this evening how impportant the correct HR zones are for proper calculation of the % form graph in fitness - the optimal zone is so sensitive to this!

However I’ve no idea of what my correct LTHR is, and have little appetite to find out!

My fitness and % form graphs, which I’ve been working from for weeks, I presume were previously based on HR zones generated from a massively out of date max HR figure from Strava.

I played around trying to create HR zones that matched to my power zones (checking by looking at the https://intervals.icu/totals page with data from indoor rides with both Power & HR data in the last month), but failed misarably. All my experimental HR zones produced very different looking graphs!

I then re-applied the original HR zones (which were exactly as previous) to all existing rides, but my graphs look different again - rather than how they were before I started playing around with HR zones? Which is upsetting to say the least! Do you know why this is? I’d like my old graphs back!

1 Like

When you change HR zones and tick the “apply to all rides” box it can take several minutes for that to get done. So maybe that was causing some issues?

If you have managed to figure out your max HR then you can probably just use LTHR = 0.9 * max HR as a start. Intervals.icu will tell you if it thinks your LTHR is higher.

Yes…upon import of historical data, to have the site auto gen suggested zones and workout schedules based upon improving VO2, etc., would be super beneficial to users; and a great module to charge a fee to add onto the coreoffering of the site.

1 Like

I use Garmin’s daily recommended exercise, which promotes VO2 improvement but is very prone to injury (physical injury or physical stress), and it is very important to have a training plan that works for you

I agree that would be nice but somewhat tricky to implement.