3-minute Critical Power Test

Has anyone done a 3-minute all out CP test? I was reading about the various tests for CP when I came across this 3-minute all out effort, various videos give the impression that it’s a painful experience but I wasn’t going to let that put me off :grimacing:. However, the last video I watched was filmed in a lab setting, the coach (?) in the video remarked that you shouldn’t try this if you’re over 45. This coach was proabably 30-something so 45 to him would be positively ancient but I would think that if you are used to this kind of stress you should be able to survive; maybe :rofl:

1 Like

I have done lots of 1 and 5min Tests. For 1 min you can go all out and hold on for dear life. 5 min tests have to be paced. 3 min is a mix of anaerobic and max aerobic power. I would pace it about 10% higher than my VO2max power according to the power/time relationship.

1 Like

I think the reasoning behind this ‘all out’ test is that after a warm up you give it absolutely everything for 3 minutes, using up pretty much everything you have. The average power for the last 30 seconds indicates your CP.

Hi @AlanH – Mark Burnley has a series of three good videos about CP tests [on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnALqirLBF4CU-5U7eeCqjQ/videos?app=desktop]. His advice seems to be to go as hard as you can for the three minutes – ie, not by pacing, but by going as hard every moment as you possibly can. Power drops over time, but each moment is your then maximum.

Good for some people to do this, but it sounds terrible to me. Let us all know how you get on, if you do it. Oh, and good luck …

Alan, my cardiologist once asked me “would you rev the engine of your 60y-old car to the max?” :hot_face:

1 Like

Tell anyone to sprint for 100m then tell them to keep that intensity up for another 2min and 50sec :rofl:

1 Like

If the car was well made to begin with, and impeccably maintained over the years…I’d say go for it!

4 Likes

Many of us rev our engines to the max quite regularly and have for years. Not a bad idea to have your cardiologist blessing though.