Workout builder

As @MedTechCD has already mentioned, syntax is important.
Your workout you wanted to create needs to look similar to this:

• ramp duration %power (when using ramp it needs to have a start and end value)

Main set x5 <— the x5 gives you the interval sets.
Recovery in between needs to be the same too; specify the duration and %power

Leave a space allows you to add one interval (purple) and not repeat it after every red.

3 Likes

The “Add Step” button is helpful when you are still learning the syntax. You can just fill in the dialog and it will generate the text.

6 Likes

Thanks for that I’ll give it a shot, appreciated the help.

1 Like

Ok ill use that, appreciate input thanks.

Ok ill keep an eye on that, thanks for help

Does Ramp functionality actually means anything in the workout builder?
How does one “ramp” a HR?

I understand it looks “nice” on the workout builder graphic, but I’m really trying to wrap my head around the practical functionality of it.

I’m trying to parse the JSON for these HR only workouts and these HR Ramps are messing w/ my head. Practically, all HR targets should either be a range or a Higher/Lower target shouldn’t it?

The only thing I can think of is the ramp graphic is just to depict to users that they should be trying to increase their HR to the higher target.

thanks

1 Like

When Intervals.icu generates workouts for Garmin and Suunto it converts the ramp into a range even for power. For Zwift, MRC and ERG it generates a ramp.

I have fixed the ramp in the JSON output, will deploy in a couple of hours.

Thanks… my goal is to have as seamless as possible the experience between the platforms such that workouts gets executed in similar fashion.

correct me if I’m wrong, but I think what you’re saying is, a power ramp like

1m ramp 50-80%

will still be a ramp for power based workouts (w/ ramp keyword) but a workout that doesn’t include the word ramp (but has a range)

1m 50-80%

will be converted to the average of the range (for MRC / ERG / ZWIFT workouts). These behaviour is similar w/ Garmin / Suunto as well ? Even for workouts that connects to the indoor turbo?

For HR based workouts, you’re saying that all HR Ramps like

1m ramp 50-80% HR

will still be converted to a range and there will be no ramp correct?

How can I get these output files such that I can make my verification such that my parsing/displaying etc is similar. (i don’t know how to get the Garmin / Suunto workout formats etc)

eg: would like to see how this is parsed for Suunto/Garmin as MRC/ERG/Zwift file downloads basically is empty as this is HR based ride.

which gets parsed as - hence my trepidation soleby based on the Graphic. (HR is always a Range of values - meaning as long as user is within the range, they are OK, but the graphic looks like this which is very different from intervals.icu)
Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 3.19.21 PM
TQ.

ps: TQ for the fix you’re soon to apply. :pray:

A HR ramp is different than a range. A ramp is a gradual increase in cardiac output and oxygen saturation within body in anticipation of higher/more work. It also means that there is an increase in body heat. Both are usually accompanied with an increase in RR. Just as soup in a pot is slowly warmed to allow ingredients to cook and flavours to be released, so too the body ought to be treated. Putting the soup or body on high heat without proper preparation and warming leads to scalding, early fatigue and injury. Instead, allow the fluids to decrease in viscosity allowing for distribution of nutrition and oxygen, as well as the removal of waste. Jumping quickly from low HR to higher HR makes it difficult for the local muscles to keep up with the work being asked of them. In the same manner, a decreasing ramp at the end of a session facilitates the recovery process.

IME, many people ramp far too quickly, impatient to “get on with it”, and don’t cool down properly.

A range is an estimated percentage of workload. It is a way of describing the anticipated output for a given energy system or targeted fibre type. However, responses vary from day to day dependant upon many factors. If all mind and body are firing on all cylinders and if all life stressors are low then one may be able to absorb more load. Inversely, there are days when the body is stressed at a much lower loads. A range allows the athlete to listen to the body and work within the bounds of available resources.

2 Likes

Garmin and Suunto don’t support ramps (as far as I know from the docs) for power or HR. So I generate a range and the device will tell you if you are within the bounds. I don’t know what Garmin does if you are controlling a trainer (maybe uses the average?). You could use the text to tell the athlete to gradually increase power or HR.

Zwift, MRC and ERG do support ramps so they get them but they also only do power.

Interavls.icu renders a range with solid colour up to the min and then a lighter colour to the max. Same for HR, power and pace.

The fix is live now. Sorry for breaking your stuff!

@app4g, tissues take more time to warm than people understand, tendons and ligaments included. Glass is malleable when heated slowly; it breaks if that process is forced. :wink:

2 Likes

Can you provide guidance or provide w/ some end-result files / text for the stuffs you send to Garmin for Power or HR? Or point me in the direction where I can do my own verification so that it matches, of sorts.

One can’t control HR, per se, hence none of these major platforms actually supports HR based workouts precisely like an indoor trainer controls the wattage for a specific interval. Hence like you said, there’s the typical “beeping” to alert the users. But the ramp thing… Using the workout cues to “inform” the user would be a good alternative but it would be grossly different from the graphic tho… :frowning:

Yes. But this is not the reality of what is sent to Garmin / Suunto correct? That’s why i would like to verify the actual output such that it matches.

TX

Sure I will send you some files. For both Garmin and Suunto you supply a JSON doc.

1 Like

Um, yeah ya can. It’s called intensity control in mind and body. :hugs:

Oh, they’re JSON… is this JSON you send the same JSON that intervals.icu generates? (That I am downloading?)

Appreciate it.TX

No the format is quite different. But all the worked out power/bpm ranges in the JSON download will help.

1 Like

@david the HR ramps need some loving. but the Power one is fixed.

In my post here Building workout using zone number instead of percentage range - #24 by app4g,

It’s from this Test workout

[
  {
    "duration": 300,
    "ramp": true,
    "hr": {
      "start": 100,
      "end": 50,
      "units": "%hr"
    },
    "_hr": {
      "value": 174,
      "start": 116,
      "end": 232
    }
  },
  {
    "duration": 300,
    "ramp": true,
    "hr": {
      "start": 50,
      "end": 100,
      "units": "%hr"
    },
    "_hr": {
      "value": 174,
      "start": 116,
      "end": 232
    }
  }
]

Good news now is that the workout shown on Intervals will be similar as workout shown in BreakAway. HR Ramps will be plotted as a Ramp, but internally it’s a range. HR Range will be plotted as a flat line (ave of range) but internally will still be a range)

HR Target Based Training feature, using workouts sync’ed from intervals.icu is finally nearly there.

TX

1 Like

More examples. See screenshot.
you can just check my calendar for the examples. These are what I’ve been using for verification.
TQ.

1 Like

Fixed. Ramps are now kept for HR and pace. Will deploy Tues AM (GMT+2).

3 Likes

I’d like to request we have kJ or calories steps. Garmin Connect supports this although it seems limited to 999kcal :thinking: You can of course have a few 999kcal steps in a row though, to reach your target before the next step.

So a step can have a target of 750kcal. You can get there anyway you want.

Want me to put this in the Feature request category @david ?

Thank you.