Why HR load on Intervals is lower than on other platform?

Hi,
For all my rides on a bike (MTB) without powermeter my HR load is significantly lower on Intervals than on other platform (TrainingPeaks). My HR threshold, HR max is the same on both services.
Why?
Also I found out that moving time is slightly different on these activities.

e.g.
25.06.22 Intervals - 195 load, TP - 237, moving time +1min
19.06.22 Intervals - 168 load, TP - 195, moving time -9min
16.06.22 Intervals - 31 load, TP - 51, moving time +3min
14.06.22 Intervals - 105 load, TP - 121, moving time -1min
12.06.22 Intervals - 115 load, TP - 155, moving time -1min

Let me know if you need any additional information from other platform.

The one on the 25th has heart rate spikes that have been clipped. If that was for real and not your HR monitor acting up then you should increase your max HR. Also your threshold HR is probably a bit low unless it was very hot and you got thirsty or something.

The fact that you did nearly 2h at 99% intensity is another hint that your threshold HR is too low. You shouldn’t be able to do more than an hour at 100% intensity. Raising your LTHR will reduce the training load and intensity.

Intervals.icu uses HRSS (normalized TRIMP) as used in Elevate. The model uses time spent at each HR value relative to threshold and your HR reserve (max - resting HR) to estimate training load.

It is quite sensitive to resting HR etc.

I don’t know how TP estimates load from HR data. The changes I am suggesting here will likely lower the training load estimate for that ride. I think the TP numbers are too high by a long way. The load is supposed to be scaled so a max 1h effort will give load of 100. So you shouldn’t get more than 200 for 2 hours, it should be much less.

I am not sure about the moving time differences. Do you have numbers from somewhere other than TP or Intervals.icu for that?

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.
I changed my max HR, seems it’s higher than my previous value.

I am not sure about the moving time differences. Do you have numbers from somewhere other than TP or Intervals.icu for that?

I have moving time from Wahoo ELEMNT iOS app. In all cases it shows exact the same values as on TP.
The ELEMNT app uploads activity to TP and Dropbox. My Intervals takes activities from Dropbox.

For 19.06.22. In Strava it shows 3:56:49 moving time (-10 min from TP). In RideWithGPS - 3:46:48 (-20 min from TP).

What an interesting stat…

It could be that TP is using the device reported moving time. Intervals.icu recomputes moving time from the velocity data which might not match.