Unable to display L/R Balance in activities/graphs

Hi David,

I’ve been trying to add the L/R Balance items to my activities similar to to what was posted in Difference in Left Right Balance.

In the activity, I’ve selected “Balance” under CHARTS and “L/R Balance” under FIELDS. I’ve also confirmed that the 'left_right_balance" data is present in the FIT file directly from my Wahoo Bolt as well as the fit downloaded from Strava.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
-dany

For me it works only if I sync activities via Dropbox. Strava is stripping files form L/R Balance data.
Just sync your files from Wahoo to Dropbox and from Wahoo to Strava and enable in Intervals.icu Dropbox sync and Strava sync. Intervals.icu will take some data from Dropbox (like L/R balance) and some from Strava (activity name) and the L/R graph should work correctly.

1 Like

Hi Lukasz,

Thanks for the info (bummer to have to jump through hoops for this) and will give it a shot.

Am I right to understand that the value for this field is the % relative to the right pedal? So if the value is 47, that is 47% for right and 53% on left? Trying to work on my pedal stroke this winter break, so want to make sure I’m reading this correctly.

-dany

FIELDS: shows L/R Balance on top in activity info and in the white box on top of the selected interval info, format is L%/R% so 45/55 means 45% left 55 right
CHARTS: shows L/R graph where red is right and blue is left

And the graph is pretty amazing, for example i was clearly seeing where my left leg was giving up :wink:
So for example you can check if the dicrepency is under higher load or while coasting and so on.

You can also add L/R balance graphs on the fitness site, there you have more freedom and can edit graph to best suit your needs, for example i track indoor/outdoor l/r balance (discrepency is pretty big) and balance avgs after torn ACL
-green dots/outdoors, blue dots/indoors, green and blue lines shows avgs and red is avgs for both

2 Likes

@Lukasz_Pludowski

Thanks so much for the information. I did an experiment and uploaded one of my fit files i loaded from my Wahoo Bolt and sure enough, I see the values and the graphs now. Next step is setting up dropbox as you suggested.

I’m very interested in this as I’m trying to improve my overall pedaling. I can “feel” one leg working harder and am interested how that changes under stress.

Thanks again, this was really helpful.

@david This is an amazing site… there’s so much information and tools to analyze the data… the key is to figure out how to use that data effectively :wink:

-dany

1 Like

Hi @david , I still believe there is a slight problem/inconsistency with the L/R data in the Fitness graph: If I plot L/R as dots it in fact shows the ‘R’ value of the L/R pair – which is confusing. Not only, but mostly because when the values in the graph go up the numbers displayed in the right go down…
I had written about L/R rations and so before, but at least I would expect that the trend for graph and legend numbers are the same…

For me this graph is perfectly fine and 100% logic. Just imagine there is a horizontal symetry line in the middle of the graph showing perfect balance 50:50 (you can even imagine a top view of your bike on that line). If the dot land above it, it means bias towards right side and below toward left side :wink:

1 Like

To me, it’s completely the wrong way around – if only because I am a hard-core scientist by profession;-)

Anyway, If the graph is labeled L/R I would expect the result to be larger if L > R than for R > L. Thus, up and down should be exchanged :slight_smile:

(Honestly, this is the only criticism I do have on a wonderful product by David up here and I am happy to support i.icu, but this graphs truly annoys me every single time I look at it :-o :wink:

Only realizing your gimmick with the bike now:-) That is very nice indeed, but then I guess with my European/latin based education I would read, ahem, cycle left to right;-)

Oh it’s all about European educated but lazy wind going always from left to right :wink: We must ride against it to build muscle strength, or at least it’s good to imagine it that way :slight_smile:

Left / Right Balance is stated here. The item about which should be L or which should be R is documented within the specs.

correct

Sorry, no;-))
The specs state which part of the data is transferred, but that has nothing to do with display – or it should not have for a Human Interface…

Anyway, @david , it could be an option to provide selections for data for the graphs as “L/R (right)” and “L/R (left)”, then we can all go about the display as we want:-)
Maybe even add the “L/R (fraction)” variants on top;-)

@Lukasz_Pludowski , will that work if I sync from Garmin Connect as well? I’m talking about it using the Strave and Garmin Connect files. - Mark

Strava No. (LR is stripped)
Garmin Connect - Yes
Dropbox - Yes (provided the export is from Garmin )

Must be a FIT file export from Garmin to pass the L/R balance, not tcx.

1 Like

ah yes…

I’ve gotta figure out how to start exporting workout files into FIT rather than TCX which my app currently does. I love TCX as it’s text based and makes debugging a lot easier vs FIT which I need a parser and etc etc…