Titles and notes problems due to quick syncing

I have a minor problem that I want to flag. There’s an easy workaround for the user, but you may want to consider a change in behaviour anyway.

When I’m finished a virtual ride, ride, or run, I upload it to Strava. Even if I’m uploading a file manually (outdoor ride or run) and then adding a new title and description, the activity immediately appears in my Strava feed with a generic title and no description. It only gets updated when I save my edits.

The problem is that intervals pulls the activity as soon as it appears and almost always gets the generic title and empty description; however, I want my title and notes to appear here. The workaround is to Sync the activity again, but that means that you are processing all my activities twice.

There are bunch of ways to address the problem. You could wait some short period of time (5 mins?) before you ingest the new activity. This wait would be overridden by the user visiting the Activities page or hitting the “Look for new activities” button there because that would cause a sync with Strava. Alternatively, you could check any activities created in the last time period (1 hour?, 1 day?) and sync just their titles and notes, assuming nothing has been changed on intervals. Finally, you could offer a sync option for things that don’t get processed like title and description. Note that I don’t allow intervals write access to Strava (because I want to do my editing there), in case you want to suggest that as a workaround.

I may be unique in having this problem, but in case I’m not, it may save you some needless processing.

Hmm. Strava is supposed to send a webhook with the new title (but not description). In addition when you visit the app and go to the home page it will poll Strava for new stuff and update any changed titles (but again not description).

I could add an optional delay on processing the “activity created” webhook as you suggest. I just make my edits in Intervals.icu.

If it’s just the notes, perhaps a small delay and add a refresh button on the edit page for the notes that does a pull just of that element. I don’t mind taking the extra step. It’s the reprocessing of the entire activity that’s the real problem.

You could even do a pull on edit, since you want your users to be editing the same note on both platforms anyway rather than risk a conflict or overwrite.